Four

I avoided any and all contact from my next door neighbor. Every time he walked outside, I conveniently had something to do inside. When he busied himself by washing his car shirtless, I buried myself in homework. It was like I was in this never ending cycle of lust toward him and it needed to stop. He was cocky and arrogant; everything I was trying to stay away from, but somehow, it allured me even further. 

To keep my mind off of the cop, I made plans with Riley. Since I rarely ever go out, Viv happily helped me put together an outfit, do my hair, and apply my makeup. With a red wine colored off-shouldered mini dress, dark brown curled hair down the length of my spine, and winged eyeliner, Vivian sent me off into Riley's waiting car. As I pulled open the door of Riley's Jeep, I made eye contact with Officer Rivera as he sat on his patio with a beer bottle in hand. Feeling a rush of embarrassment, I quickly jumped into the car and buckled myself up. 

On the way to the restaurant, Riley was a complete gentlemen. He asked how comfortable I was, if I need the car's temperature hotter or cooler, and how the hell I'm so damn pretty. When we pulled up to the five star establishment, I bit my lip. 

"We don't have to go here, I heard this place is wicked expensive." I watched as he shook his head with an amused grin, jogging over to the passenger's side of the car and opening the door for me. 

"Let's just say, I have an in with the owner." He winked and we walked inside, past the line of hungry waiting restaurant-goers. We were seated in a private room in the back; the walls a lavish red, gold fixtures and table settings, mahogany wood flooring, and a live jazz band that played softly in the background. "Riley, you didn't have to do all of this for me." I insisted, but he shook his head again.

"You're special, Jane. Anyone with half a brain can see that." He shot me a charming smile and I, quite honestly, nearly melted. Having long forgotten the cop next door, I ordered the fettuccine with a side of broiled asparagus in a garlic butter sauce while Riley splurged on a twelve ounce steak and a side of rosemary-infused mashed potatoes. My date was everything a girl could hope for; smart, funny, easy-going, and goal oriented. "I have a job lined up after graduation at a private marine animal hospital." I took a sip of the wine Riley had chosen for us, my mouth swirling with hints of rich earthiness and a sweet after taste. "Good, isn't it? It's a 2008 Littorai Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay." I nodded pleasingly. 

"I don't usually drink, but this is amazing." I smiled, setting the glass back down. 

"Well, Jane," Riley folded his hands together and set them on the table in front of him, eyeing me with a curious expression. "We've sat here talking about my life, school, and the weather for about forty-five minutes and you haven't told me a lick about you." 

"Yeah, sorry about that. I'm awful at first dates and I hate talking about myself." I gushed, knowing that first dates had always been a weakness of mine. "What would you like to know?"

"Where are you from?" He asked, cutting into his medium-rare steak. 

"A little town in Wisconsin, a couple hour from Milwaukee." 

"When did you meet Vivian?" I blushed as I thought back to Vivian giving Riley the "parent talk" and supplying me with a tube of pepper spray. 

"Have her home at a decent hour and if you hurt her, I will hunt you down and rip your dick off."

"We've been friends since diapers; she packed up her whole life to move here with me, I owe her everything." I said honestly, feeling my love for my best friend resonate throughout the small room. 

"She seems great, it must be nice to have someone like that in your life." He replied, popping a piece of tender meat into his mouth. 

"You don't?" I questioned, taking a bite of my own food. God, this was fricken good.