Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Rock And A Hard Place

**

When the journalist finally walks away, I let Sebastian have it.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I snap at him, making it apparent that I am far from happy.

"What do you mean?" He replies. Playing the dumb card isn't smart at this moment.

"Cut the bullshit, Sebastian." I look around, making sure no one is aware of our animated conversation. "Putting your hand on my hip like that? Are you crazy?"

"Really? That's what you're so pressed over?" he rolls his eyes. Temperamentally, at that. "Jesus Christ, just relax. It isn't a big deal."

"It is a big deal! It might not be to you as you're trapped in your bubble where your actions don't have consequences but to me? As your publicist? It is a very big deal."

I start to wonder if Sebastian's little stunt was as intentional as I think it was. By how annoyed he seems with my rant, it looks as if it really was just an innocent gesture that he was unaware he made. But I'm so upset that I can't see past that. With Alejandro's disappearance and every other inconsistency with my life looming over my head, I make the horrible mistake of taking it out on Sebastian.

"I still don't understand why you're so mad at me-"

"Because you just keep doing things that fuck everything up for me! You don't...you don't take pictures like that with women who have boyfriends."

"'Women who have boyfriends,'" Sebastian laughs, mocking me. "You're precious, innocent boyfriend who's been gone for a week without telling you where he went to or why he left? Give me a fucking break. If you knew why he was really in Colombia, you wouldn't be using his name as a defense, Leslie."

There it is. The Golden Ticket. That small, insignificant slip-up is more significant than Sebastian likes to believe. He just indirectly told me what Alejandro is up to; he just told me that he knows what Alejandro is doing in Colombia.

The realization hits me moments later. Sebastian thinks I'm silent because he hurt my feelings, but really, I'm silent because I'm putting the pieces together in my head, trying to make them fit. And when I look up at him, I open my mouth to ask him the question I need to be answered: why is Alejandro in Colombia?

"Sebastian, what are you doing over here? I've been looking for you."

Of course. The red headed beauty here to save Sebastian from his misery. I have half a mind to just ask him while Claire is here, but the question doesn't come out of my mouth. Instead, I stand back and let her whisk him away like I was a nuisance in the first place. And as Claire snakes her arm through his, walking with him into the crowd like he's a novelty, I see her turn around and look at me. Her face is hard - serious. Then it morphs into a frown before she turns back around.

Back off, she signaled to me. He's mine.

I've never seen Claire look at me like that. Amidst the music, dancing, laughing and drinking, her gaze stuck with me, leaving the room quiet and empty.

"Leslie?" Darcy says behind me, lightly touching my shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I told her. But I wasn't fine. I was far from it. "I just...I need some air."

Luckily, Darcy didn't stop me as I pushed myself through the crowd and towards the exit. Once in the empty, brightly lit hallway, I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes. I imagine myself somewhere else - maybe a beach or a farm. My grandmother's farm. Yes, that's it. I imagine myself at my grandmother's farm, deep in the Scottish highlands surrounded by nothing but rolling green hills, low-floating clouds, and fresh air. I would probably read a book or something. I haven't completed a book in a long time. It would get my mind off of-