Chapter 21: The Skull

I woke up to the smell of fried eggs, meat and cocoa. Last night was a combination of magic and nightmare and it sure kept me up, but I knew that a cup of hot cocoa would somehow improve my emotion. I combed my hair with my fingers and straightened my clothes. I couldn't look like a mess today.

I padded to the kitchen and saw Imara cooking at her stove. I watched her silently as she shove some woods to the fire. The scene looked just like a home. Who would want to leave home?

"How was your sleep?" She asked smiling.

"It was more comfortable than sleeping in the Obsidian," I lied. It was a sleepless-toss-and-turn-kind-of-night but I wouldn't let her know that because I didn't want to disappoint her in any kind of way. She was a great host and I must let her know that everything she did was fine enough for me.

I sat on the chair and she approached me with a cup of cocoa in her hand. The smell of the chocolate lighted up my mood and I grabbed it immediately the moment she set it in front of me.

"There's no cocoa in the middle of the sea," I said blushing.

"Then I'll be packing you more cocoa so you can have it on a rainy morning or on a stormy night," she answered. Her smile didn't reach her eyes this time and I knew at that moment that we're leaving.

"Oh, Imara!"

I got to my feet and threw my arms around her. And I thought that was her cue because I felt her began sobbing into my arms. I couldn't understand why her family would leave her alone again. Why did she even allow it and stay here waiting for them to come back? She didn't deserve this sad morning. She didn't deserve this kind of goodbyes.

"Can't you make them stay for you? Tell them that it's killing you to see them leave," I asked but she shook and raised her head; tears were streaming from her wrinkled eyes.

"The people need them. Poverty is already destroying this island--killing children and the old ones because of sickness that could be cured if only we have medicines. The wives of the pirates need to sacrifice and I understand that, Primrose. I need to understand."

I felt my heart getting heavier for her. Her tears found mine and it started welling in my eyes. I fought back the tears that were threatening to fall and let Imara cry for this moment. Maybe I shouldn't let her feel that I found her sacrifices unreasonable and unfair to her.

"But you are not just a wife, Imara. You are also a mother. I couldn't imagine how you are feeling while sending them away." I remembered Erasmus' cheerful and innocent smile – he was a little green island in the middle of the sea. He would probably shine brighter if he lives with his mother.

"My sons aren't just my sons," she said, wiping her tears. "They are also the sons of the sea and if life demands them to be there, then I'll watch them go with prayers."