CHAPTER EIGHT: JAILBIRD (5/5)

The journey back to downtown had taken almost twice as long as the one to the station. Several streets had been entirely closed off due to the riots, forcing Astell's Kamari to detour onto quieter backstreets away from the mayhem. The smog which blanketed the city had a red tinge to its belly, and Kas knew the reason why. The blow to the Federation had led to a noticeable lack of caps on planet, and their absence had led to looting, violence and arson. Half the city was probably ablaze and likely had been for days. She only didn't notice it before because it had been daytime; darkness had since revealed the city for what it truly was.

'Shouldn't you be out there?' Kas asked after a long silence.

'I have been,' Astell replied. 'I should be resting right now. Instead, I'm helping you.'

The Kamari slowed to a stop, pulling up directly outside an old church. What once had been a beautiful hall of worship was now a crumbling ruin left to preachers of a very different kind. When the passenger doors parted, Astell was the first to clamber out and take in the surroundings. He looked to the church but strained to see anything through the night. 'You hid him here?'

Kas slipped out of the car and checked over each of her shoulders. 'Not here. Just a little further.'

Astell spun on her, none too pleased. 'I thought we agreed we'd go directly there.'

'I didn't hide an X1 in a church, numb-nuts. He's somewhere more secluded. You can't drive directly there so we've got to walk the rest of the way.'

'I'm not leaving my car here.'

'Then park it.'

Astell grunted his frustration and tried his best to look annoyed. He turned back to his car and the doors slid open. He stuck his head inside and talked as though he was trying to convince a lover of his loyalty.

'Kam, I've got to leave you for a while. Find the nearest safe parking area and wait for me there. Enable full security mode and relocate yourself if you sense trouble, OK?'

'I understand.'

Astell pulled his head out and the doors slid shut as the Kamari began to pull away.

'This place better not be far,' he said.

But Kas was looking at something behind him. Astell turned back towards the church and saw a group of three men approaching slowly from a large stone archway.

'What is this place?' Astell growled, his eyes locked on the men.

'I don't know,' Kas answered honestly.

As the three men crept towards them, Astell's right hand went to his hip. Kas thought he was about to pull a weapon but instead, he pulled a thin circle of silver metal.

'CAP,' Astell shouted, holding the badge up high. 'Don't come any closer!' The metal glowed like a torch in his hand and made him hard to miss.

Good idea, Astell... make yourself an easier target...

But the three shadows froze and a whisper carried across the wind that might have said, 'kill them'.

'Turn around and go back,' Astell yelled, but the strangers didn't move. His left hand went behind his back and reached for a weapon he couldn't find. 'This is your last chance!'

The three shadows began moving again, this time shrinking back towards the archway. Astell waited until he could no longer see them before clipping the badge back on his belt and breathing a sigh of relief. He turned around with a hard expression etched on his face.

'Alright. Time to go, mohaw--'

He cut himself short and cursed loudly.

Kas was gone.