Waiting Ch. 21

Chapter Twenty One

We all waited for his response. I personally liked the video. I thought it was creative, and pretty cool. "Everyone out," Mason commanded, and because we promised the nurse if he wanted us out, we would go, so we all started walking out the door. "Except for Taylor," He said, his voice sounding harsh. I winced, and gently waved good bye to everyone.

When the door closed, I turned around. "Listen," I began, "I don't want to get in a fight with you. You needed to see that video."

"I know," Mason whispered, and then he patted the small spot next to him on the bed. Slowly I approached the bed, and fit right in the little spot. I put my head on his good arm, and looked at him. "You were right," He told me, "And even though I never said I was going to give up, I still won't."

"Oh please," I scoffed, "Are you going to tell me that when you were talking about not being afraid to die, you weren't going to give up?"

He smiled and said, "You're right."

"I know I am," I whispered.

"That was probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me," He muttered, turning his head a little to look at me.

I smiled at him, and gently kissed his nose. "Do the nurses really know I'm awake?" He asked.

"Yes," I laughed, "And it probably won't be long before they put you back to sleep."

"That's not what I want though," He argued, "I want to be awake with you. I want to hold you, and see you."

"You will," I whispered, "After you wake up, and are all better."

He scrunched his nose, and looked up at the ceiling. I listened to his slow breathing, and the steady beat of his heart. This wasn't something I wanted to give up, and wasn't planning on.

"How did you get my Dad on the video?" He finally asked.

"Mason, no matter what has happened between you two, he loves you," I told him, "I'm not telling you he did everything he did to you because he loves you. I'm saying he just doesn't know how to show it. He's just been so depressed since your Mother died."

Mason pressed his lips together, like he was thinking about it. He smirked, and said, "Can I keep the tape as proof?"

"It's all yours," I said, leaning back and kissing his arm. He smiled brightly at me.

"How long will you stay?" He asked in a quiet voice.

"As long as you want me too," I exclaimed, "I don't need to leave."

"No that's just silly," He told me, "How about when I wake up? You'll be here when I wake up?"

I didn't tell him that he could've woken up at anytime, because the sedatives weren't that effective on him before, and I'd probably have to stay almost all the time to make his little wish come true. No, instead of saying that, I said, "Of course."

He gave me a small smile.

"Tell me about your Mother and brother," I whispered, "I've never heard anything about them."

"My Mother," Mason said, "Was a strong independent woman. You did it her way, or no way. Normally she was fair with my brother and I, but when one of us got mean or greedy she would settle it her way."

"Which was?" I asked.

He gave me a full smile. "Sitting on the couch hugging my brother until I forgave him," He told me, "And it always worked. When my brother got accepted into college I was a mess. Gabe was very close to me, and we did everything together as kids. He promised to visit every weekend, and on the holidays. And he never missed one."