Waiting Ch. 22 (Final Chapter)

Chapter Twenty Two

The past few weeks were rough. Mason was in and out of surgery, and then when he was done, all he was allowed to do was sit and relax. Mason got so anxious just sitting on the couch, or laying in his bed. I tried to be with him as long as I could, but since his Dad left, and when I went to school, I could tell he was lonely.

"I would skip school if I could," I told him, setting a tray of food on the table in front of him.

"No, that's not fair," He grumbled.

I pressed my lips together, and looked at him. He had on two casts, one for his left arm, and one for his left leg. He had bandages on his face, and behind his knee. He leaned his head back on the back of the chair. "The only thing left is recovering," I told him, "And before you know it, you'll be alright."

"I know," He grumbled, playing with a thread on the couch. I kissed his head, and then walked back into the kitchen. I stopped short when I saw a woman in shorts, and a blue t-shirt. Her brown hair was blown in her face, and she was laughing as the picture was taken.

I smiled at her, knowing that was Mrs. Slatter. When I walked back into the family room, Mason had his eyes closed. I sat down on the couch next to him.

"How's your sister doing?" He asked.

"Great actually," I told him, "It seems like her nightmares have stopped."

"That's great," He exclaimed, smiling.

"Yeah, and she just feels really attached to me," I muttered, "But I'm not sure if that's something she'll let go easily."

Mason shrugged, and looked back up at the ceiling. Someone knocked on the door, and I stood up to go get it. It was Kristi with Lexie. Lexie was holding bags of chips, and Kristi was holding a bunch of CDs. "We just made these, and we wanted you to hear them," She shrugged.

Lexie shoved the bags in my hand, and ran to Mason, she sat by him, and asked, "Will you be alright?"

"Of course," He told her.

"You won't die on me?" She questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Why would I?" He said, smiling.

"Because you mean a lot to my sister," She told him. "And to me. You were way better then Nikolas, I really hated him."

"Me too," Mason laughed.

"You know I'm right here," I told them, "I can hear you."

Mason smiled at me, and held his good arm open. I sat on his good leg, and kissed him on the cheek, and then the lips. "Gross," Lexie commented, but she laughed.

"I'm popping these CDs in," Kristi called from the living room. She put the CDs in, and some music played. Lexie got up and danced around the room with Kristi. Mason shifted, and I could feel his anxiety.

"I don't think the doctor would mind if you got up and danced a little," I whispered.

"Taylor," He sighed, "I can't dance. Now especially."

I stood up, and brought him gently to his feet. I walked him around the table, and put his good hand on my waist and his cast hand lightly on my waist. I wrapped my arms around his waist, and put my head on his chest. On the next song, we swayed slightly. I rested my forehead on his chest, and took in his warm scent.

He rested his chin of my head, and let me sway him back and forth. Kristi took out a camera, and snapped a picture. "Kristi, what're you doing?" I asked.

"I'm making sure we have memories," She told me.

"We've already got memories," Lexie exclaimed, and then pointed to her head, "In here!"