Scene Thirty-Five

***Author's Note - I realized as I was writing this scene that there is absolutely no way that my previous plan, as stated in Scene 31, of Caleb and Maisie going out to dinner after the show is possible, because Hamilton is a 3 hour show that doesn't start until 8:00PM most nights and ABC Kitchen closes at 10:30 or 11:00 on weeknights.  Sooooo... please just assume those edits have been made to the previous chapters because I'm plowing forward with my new plan.  Thanks!***

The air buzzed as the seats around Maisie and Caleb began to fill with people, chattering away excitedly about their hopes for the show.  Caleb didn't answer Maisie's question, but he finally opened his program and began perusing the contents.

"I don't recognize any of these names," he said, glancing down the cast list.

"Most of the original cast has moved on," Maisie said, "but I'm sure it's still just as good."

He nodded, and they didn't say anything else as they waited for the curtains to part and the music to begin.

****

When the curtain closed for the final time and the actors left the stage after receiving thunderous applause and a standing ovation so long Maisie was sure she'd never be able to wear heels again, she grabbed her purse and followed Caleb into the crowd trying to exit the balcony.

"That was absolutely amazing," she said, mostly to herself.  But Caleb turned and smiled.

"It was. I don't usually like musical theater, but that was a blast.  Unlike anything I've ever seen before.  I was expecting to be disappointed because of all the hype, but it actually lived up to it."  He placed his hand gently on her elbow and helped steer her through the crowd.  Normally she'd protest - she was a capable human being, after all, certainly capable enough to find her own way to a staircase - but in this instance, she appreciated the help.  One wrong step and her stilettos would cause her downfall.

"I agree completely - except I am actually a lover of musical theater."

They had to separate, as there wasn't room on the stairs for them to go down side-by-side, but when they reached the lobby, Caleb again showed his chivalrous nature by holding the exit door open for her as well as the group of young women who followed.

"Thanks," she said when he joined her on the sidewalk under the marquee.

"Do you want to go around back and try and see the actors?" he asked.

She shook her head.  "They've worked hard enough tonight, don't you think? No point bothering them."  Maisie gestured down the street.  "Should we try and get a cab?"

"Yeah, or..." Caleb paused and pulled out his phone.  "It's only eleven.  Do you want to grab a drink before heading back to your hotel?"

A drink was not part of their Buzzfeed-arranged date.  He was under no obligation to spend more time with her.  Nor she with him.  And yet.

His jacket was unbuttoned, and his tie had loosened during the performance - she'd noticed him fidgeting with it at several exciting points in the action.  Even better, his hair had lost it's perfect coif, also thanks to his intensity in viewing the show.  He looked better than ever and her opinion of him had certainly grown throughout the evening.

"I'd love to get a drink with you."