Blood Toucheth Blood

The fog settled in the Tug River Valley colder than it had in any Autumn morning in years

Cap sat at the table during breakfast, so groggy he had felt half alive. And he still had to find the spot for the McCoy sentencing, as they were politely calling it.

He couldn't complain too much, he did offer to pick the spot. His Uncle Jim would never allow Chyna to be there. So he'd hide her in the trees beforehand.

Cap found he didn't regret staying up all night at Chyna's back, she didn't fall asleep til 3 in the morning and woke up for the day an hour after. But he couldn't have left her alone, not even had the world been burning.

Chyna scuttled about Anse's home tending Cotton and the children who were very unhappy about being up so early.

But the funeral was to be started soon.

"Chyna, I gotta dress you may wear, it's a bit old but it'll work just fine" Said Levicy as she watched Chyna clean the children's dishes.

"oh I - thank you ma'am, thank you very much. But I couldn't. I-"

"ain't goin' we ain't gon have no coonskin standing around the funeral of a confederate wildcat rebel." Jim chimed in empty plate in hand, he dropped it into the soapy water splashing Chyna.

"that has no matter in this Uncle Jim. Ellison would want it and Cotton to." Levicy spoke in a strained way with stern eyes.

Chyna lowered her gaze and continued washing "I don't want to stir the pot none. It's Ellison's day, it all that matters. If me being there causes trouble. I'll stay away" Chyna said quickly.

She had said her goodbye, she couldn't lie, she didn't want to say it again.

Jim looked at Chyna cynically "well ain't you a little bootlicking little shit. Anything to stay in good graces. Ain't gonna help you" Jim sang in amusement.

"Jim!" Levicy barked pointing out the door.

Jim left satisfied and Chyna exhaled quietly. The two women glanced at each other if relief before continuing with the chores.

Chyna fussed over Cotton, smoothing out his hair and buttoning the top button on his best shirt.

"It's too tight" Cotton whimpered as he tugged around at the collar.

"oh it's jus because it's pressed is all, it'll loosen up in no time" Chyna reasoned.

Cotton huffed and scratched lightly at his arms. "but it's ichy" he tried. Chyna folded her arms and looked at Cotton with one arched brow.

"is it now?" she asked.

Cotton gave a long guilty sigh. "nooo" he said.

"I was telling tales... But, I don't wanna go if you ain't." he confessed.