Chapter Twenty-One

We barely uttered a word as we moved through the narrow road. It wasn't that we didn't want to, because some conversation would have undoubtedly helped ease the deep-rooted fear in my gut. But we didn't because it felt like we were breaking some sort of ancient law that was being imposed on all of us. The only thing anyone had said was Gimli asking: "What kind of army would linger in such a place?"

Legolas had replied with a simple: "One that is cursed."

"What does that mean?" I had asked, glancing over my shoulder towards Legolas.

"Long ago, the men in the mountains swore an oath to the last king of Gondor to come to his aid, to fight," he explained. " But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled, vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so, Isildur cursed them, never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge. Who shall call them from the grey twilight the forgotten people? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the North shall he come, need shall drive him. He shall pass the Door to the Paths of the Dead."

I looked forward to Aragorn, who hadn't said a word through the entire explanation. Once more, I grew aware of the burden on his shoulders. It's been expected that not only that he becomes a king of a dying kingdom, but that he doesn't succumb to the same fate of his ancestor. I admired him for staying so calm under such a yolk.

I have no idea how long we rode through the canyon. Looking up, you couldn't see the sun shining above, and by the lighting, it looked like it was twilight. It stayed this way for what felt like hours and hours.

Eventually, I could see the end of the canyon. We dismounted our horses, walking towards what looked to be a doorway.

"It very warmth of my blood seems stolen away," Gimli muttered under his breath, and I could see why. The very sight of the human skulls lining the doorway was enough to strike fear in the strongest warrior.

I made myself take a step closer and saw that there were strange symbols across the doorway. "What does it read?" I asked, gesturing up towards it.

"The way is shut," Legolas translated. "It was made by those who are dead and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

As if the words weren't chilling enough, a noise came from inside the tomb, sending out a gust of musty air. The reigns of Balor were ripped out of my hand as he turned and bolted, along with Arod and Brego.

"Balor!" I shouted, but he didn't turn around. Looking back at my party we all exchanged glances. Now what are we to do?

Aragorn shrugged his shoulders and tightened his grip on his sword hilt. "I do not fear death," he growled as he entered the tomb.

I glanced at Legolas and saw him quickly follow Aragorn. I shifted uncomfortably for a second before I followed him in, listening as Gimli muttered to himself outside. I'll admit that I was afraid of what we would find down here, but I didn't want to seem like a coward, nor did I want to be left outside, all alone.

Once inside, I saw Aragorn kneel down beside a torch and light it using his flint and steel. Once lit, the torch cast strange shadows on our faces and the walls.

Swinging it around to cast the dim light it emitted, Aragorn drew his sword and peered down one of the tunnels before us. I shivered when I saw it to be hundreds of human skulls. I glanced down the other and only saw a swirling, green mist.

Although both options were rather terrifying, I was thankful when I saw Aragorn pick the mist option. I started to follow him, but almost crashed into Legolas who was still planted in his spot, his eyes glued to the tunnel with the skulls.