Fifty-Six

"If this room was burning, I wouldn't even notice. 'Cause you've been taking up my mind, with your little white lies, little white lies"

 'Cause you've been taking up my mind, with your little white lies, little white lies"

Who is ringing at this ungodly hour?

Harry's ringtone sounds from his bedroom, while I continue towel drying my hair, ensuring that my hair is as dry as it can be before I go to sleep. There's nothing worse than sleeping on a damp pillow.

"Hello?" he answers from the adjoining room, surprised he would even answer. He's not known to answer the phone past ten on a weeknight, but who am I to even assume who Harry is anymore?

"Hello... Anyone th-" before he stops talking.

With my curiosity getting the best of me, I peak through the crack in the doorway from his ensuite bathroom, trying to listen in further on who is calling. Whoever it is, there doesn't appear to be much talking from his end. Taking a good look at him, he sits up in bed, staring off into space, listening to the other line with a sense of desperation.

I can't quite explain it, but I look away. Even for me, I feel like I'm intruding in some manner, and yet my burning desire to find out who is on the other line takes over. Opening the connecting door to his bedroom, I cough, making my presence known.

"Hey, who's that?" I ask casually, hoping that I appear nonchalant.

I hear the faint sound of the line disconnecting, while Harry checks the screen to see if they're still there.

"I... I'm not quite sure," he stammers, seeming deeply moved by whatever just occurred.

"Well... what did they want then?" I press, trying to get more information out of him. It's not like I'm bothered, but when there's information that's being kept from me, no matter how mundane, I just have to know.

Not answering, he just continues to stare off in space, still quite affected by whatever news he's just heard.

"Harry?" I prod, trying to get his attention.

"Sorry, I'm just a little tired, he sighs, flipping his pillow over to the 'cold side'.

I stand there quite unsure of my next move. I mean, we vaguely discussed today that we should begin sleeping in the same bedroom, though the act seems quite daunting now.