Chapter 3

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story so far! I live for all of ya'll's feedback!

Ellison strode down a dim dungeon corridor. She had been in the library studying when she realized the time was 9:55 pm. She had crammed her books into her bag hastily, and made for the Slytherin common room.

Running her fingers along the cold walls, she found the ever familiar brick, which had a large chip in its exterior that signaled she had reached the common room. Running a finger over the groove she whispered, "Salazar." The wall moved aside, creating a narrow passage, which she walked through, entering a room adorned with silver and emerald green. She had made it back with seconds to spare.

Plopping down on one of the plush green sofas positioned around the warm fireplace, she opened her bag and pulled out the piece of parchment she so hurriedly had crammed into her bag. She had done it. She had finished her essay on werewolves. Sure it had taken her over a week, but she had finally managed to finish a Defence Against the Dark Arts assignment before its due date. She held out the piece of parchment, admiring her work, before rolling it up gently, returning it to her bag.

She grabbed the black book Tom had left for her a week earlier. He would be needing it considering they had a mere week before the assignment was to be turned in. Of course he wouldn't start on it until days before, only to receive top marks for his days' worth of effort.

Ellison stood up, book in hand, and made her way to the staircase that led to the boy's dormitory. She climbed until she reached the top of the staircase, where the room designated for head boy was. She knocked softly on Tom's door. No answer. She knocked again, a little louder this time. Still no answer. She jiggled the door knob and, to her surprise, the door clicked open.  Slowly, she opened it, peering inside. No one was there. Deciding to leave the book on his desk, she slipped inside the room, closing the door quietly behind her.

She had been inside Tom's room before, though girls weren't supposed to enter the boys' living quarters and vice versa. Tom had carried her to his room on multiple occasions after finding her asleep in the library or common room on his nightly patrols as prefect and head boy. She would always wake up atop his four poster the next morning to an empty room. He really was sweet ... that is when he wanted to be.

Ellison walked across the room towards the large oak desk stationed in a far corner. She lay the book Tom had lent her on it and turned to walk away when something caught her eye. Lying atop a pile of parchment was a book that seemed all too familiar. Where had she seen it before?

She picked it up turning it over in her hands. Its covering was made of thick black leather with purple filigree, though it had been worn down through the years. Realization hit her. This had been the book Tom had been reading in the library. On its binding was a thick red stripe. It had been taken from the restricted section.

She read the inscription on its cover, 'Secrets of the Dark Arts: by Owle Bullock.' Ellison knew Tom had made a habit of perusing through the restricted section as of late, but why had he taken this book? Why would he risk being caught with it in his possession?

She thumbed through the pages until she came to a page that had been marked by a scrap piece of parchment. Scrolled across the top of the page in bold letters was 'Horcruxes.' Horcrux? Her brows furrowed in confusion at this unfamiliar word. She began to read but the sound of a voice coming from the doorway made her freeze.

"What are you doing?" She spun on her heel and closed the book, all but slamming it back onto the desk. Tom was standing at the door, a cold stare on his face, his eyes glancing from her to the book she had sat down.

"Uh-Um," she stuttered. She had a feeling Tom had not meant for her to see the book, much less read it. "I was just returning your book," she said a little too quickly. She picked up the small book she had placed on his desk and held it up for him to see. Tom's mouth twitched involuntarily, and he stepped inside, closing the door behind him. Suddenly her whole body felt heavy, her legs threatening to give way. Tom walked across the room to the spot Ellison was planted, frozen. She felt like a child who had been caught doing something wrong, thought why, she didn't know. He picked up the book she had so abruptly closed and held it up.

"And you thought you would go through my things while you were at it?" His voice was calm ... steady, which sent a tight knot coursing through the pit of Ellison's stomach. She drew a breath and spoke.

"I was just looking. Is that a problem?" She asked. Tom stared at her, seemingly un-phased by her attempt at banter. His eyes bore into hers, causing her to shift uncomfortably. She had never seen such a deadly stare from Tom before, or at least she had never been on the receiving end of one.

"It is when you come into my room uninvited," he replied. His voice was cold. Suddenly she was being pulled towards the door by Tom.

"Whoa, hey! Wait a minute," she stammered, pulling her arm out of his grasp. "What is your bloody problem?" she asked, the words coming out a little harsher than she had meant them to. He wouldn't do this. He wasn't going to get irrationally angry at her for looking at a book he illegally took from the library. Not giving him a chance to respond, she continued. "Why do you even have that ruddy book to begin with? You certainly don't have it for any assignment, so what? You're reading about Horcruxes for fun?" Her words were venomous. She hadn't realized how angry she was. He had been lying to her, or at least not telling her the whole truth, for weeks, and she had finally had enough. Tom looked taken aback by her sudden outburst, but regained his cold demeanor quickly.

"Get out." His icy voice sent a chill down Ellison's spine.

"Not until you tell me why you have that book," she replied, squaring her shoulders.

"I – said – get – out," he glared at her, emphasizing each word as he spoke. She returned his icy stare, determined not to look away.

"I wonder what Professor Dippet would think about your reading prefere-"she was cut off as her back hit the wall behind her with a hard thud. Tom was towering over her with his hands pressed against her shoulders, pinning her to the spot. His cold stare had been replaced with a fiery glare.

"You would do well to keep your mouth shut," He was glowering over her, eyes dark with rage. All resolve she had had seemed to disintegrate under his gaze.  Tom released her shoulders and turned, fists clenched, his back to her. Ellison stood there for a moment, glued to the spot.

She watched carefully as he retreated to the window, his eyes focused in a dark stare on the night sky above. Her mind raced with a million thoughts, though she found it impossible to put any of them into words. She grabbed her bag, which lay haphazardly at the foot of Tom's desk, and made for the door, not looking back as she walked through it.

She descended the stairs, ignoring the questioning looks of students in the common room, and climbed the steps to her room. She closed the door behind her, and once safely inside, slid down its frame, biting back the tears that now stung her eyes.

------------------------------------------------------

Okay guys! This is the last filler chapter, I swear! I'm sorry if its a bit choppy. I had to connect it somehow! Let me know what you think. I would love to hear feedback!

Ps. Swear the next chapter is when it gets good... keep reading!

-August