Chapter Twenty-Two

I stood beside Aragorn and Gimli, watching as the three massive ships of the Corsairs of Umbar approached us. On the decks, I saw the crew hoisting ropes and climbing up the Jacob's ladders. Some, though, were peering at us, shouting at their fellow shipmates in a language I didn't understand.

When they got closer, Aragorn shouted, "You may go no further. You will not enter Gondor."

Laughter came up from the ship, and I couldn't help but smile at their blissful ignorance.

"Who are you to deny us passage?" one shouted, his black hair tied up in messy dreds and braids.

"Legolas, fire a warning shot past the boson's ear," Aragorn said, not even turning his head to look at Legolas.

I heard the sound of the elf pull an arrow from his quiver, and the sound of him drawing his bow back.

"And mind your aim," Gimli muttered, and I saw the streak of the arrow fly through the air, but I lost it as soon as it hit the ship. The shout that followed was enough information for me.

I looked over and saw Gimli put his hand over his mouth.

"What did you do?" I asked the dwarf.

"I didn't do nothing!" he argued. "It's the prince who has a bad aim." I looked up at Legolas and saw him glaring at Gimli. I turned back to the ship, and I saw the closest one swing towards us.

"Welp, we warned them," Gimli continued, squaring his shoulders. "Now prepare to be boarded!"

"Boarded!" one of the men laughed. "By you and whose army?"

"This army," Aragorn smirked, and I felt something akin to a cold breeze pass through my body. The army of the dead ran through us and right towards the ships with a blood-curdling battle cry. The shouts of the Corsairs of Umbar mixed in with the roars of the Undead, and I chose not to imagine what was happening on the ships.

"It's nice to not have to fight them," I pointed out as the sounds of the battle began to fade.

Aragorn turned to look at me. "You wouldn't be getting tired of this, now are you?" he smirked.

I laughed. "Not quite yet," I said as the closest ship was run ashore near us, and we all climbed aboard. The Undead were disappearing again, and I took notice that the bodies of the Corsairs of Umbar were gone. They must have been thrown overboard.

"I wonder if there's any food on this blasted boat," Gimli grumbled, and I watched as he crawled below deck, with Legolas close behind. Aragorn went up to the spinnaker, and for a second, he looked more like a pirate than a ranger. I sat down on the deck, watching as the boat pulled away from shore once more and joined the other three on the river.

"About how far?" I called to Aragorn.

"You can see the city about a mile ahead," he replied. "Not too long."

I nodded, feeling the wind starting to pick up again. This time, it blew my hair right into my face, and I groaned, hearing Aragorn laugh in the background.

"Not funny," I growled, trying to gather my hair in my hands. I first tried to tie it back with a cord, but the ends still blew back into my face. I was quite frustrated at this point as I desperately wanted to tie it back in a braid, but because of the wind and all that had happened previously, my hair was a tangled mess.

"Would you like some help?"

I looked up and watched as Legolas sat beside and behind me.

"If you're brave enough," I grumbled, earning myself a deep chuckle from the elf.