What the...

I wasn't so surprised Zach came to rain on my parade. I felt like something or someone would ruin the day anyways. No, it wasn't his appearance that surprised me. It was my parents greeting him like a second son that freaked me out.

My dad hugged him with two arms. You know how dudes do that one handed hug pat? This hug was a "long time no see" close hug. Then, my mom pecked him on his cheek and hugged him too! This is California people, not freaking France. No one pecks on the cheek unless they are like family or something.

I search around for Sunny. He's easy to spot since there is always a crowd of girls or guys surrounding him. Sometimes, I just listen for loudest, most obnoxious group...

I spot him near our small pond with another guy next to him. They are both facing away from me. My eyes roam the guy next to Sunny. And this dude has a very nice ass and back, very nice indeed. The only other guy who has ever had such an attractive backside was Alex, though I may a little biased. I examine him closely and realize he is Alex.

Sunny is talking to Alex? I didn't think this day could get any stranger. The last time they met they were brawling and spitting at each other. Boys...I'll never understand them. I'm just glad he hasn't seen Zach, or maybe he has? What if Sunny is in on this secret relationship or whatever this is? I don't know, he could be pretending to hate Zach. Then again, I couldn't imagine Zach to be anything but a cold-hearted, ruthless man...I'm thinking way too much into this again-I blame my secret agent and spy phase. Zach could be some ninja secret spy person!

I take a deep breath and head on towards my parents and Zach.

"Hey! There's my little birthday girl!" My dad grins while he swings me in a circle as he hugs me.

"Dad!" I complain. "I'm sixteen. You're embarrassing in front of everyone!" I grow red as he ruffles my hair.

"You're still pretty tiny..." My dad winks.

"DAD!" I cross my arms and huff.

"I'm kidding!" He laughs heartily. Then, he nudges Zach forward. "Do you remember Zach? We invited him, but I didn't think he would show."

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It's your sweet sixteen birthday right?" Zach smiles a little. I stare at him as if he is the most bizarre creature to exist. Does this guy have a doppelgänger? What the heck is going on?

"Zach?" I ask.

"Oh honey you probably don't remember. You met him quite a when ago." My mother explains. "He's a busy young man, running his business and all. It's a miracle he even came to visit!"

"Yeah. A miracle." I nod unenthusiastically, while trying to low-key make eye contact with Drake. He probably knows what is up.

"Emmalyn!" My mom nudges me with her elbow. "Don't be so rude to your guest. He's the son of a longtime friend. Apologize."

"-but I wasn't even being rude!" I protest. How is this my fault? Who was this "longtime friend." I am so confused. Did Zach have superpowers where he inserted fake memories into everyone?

She merely gives me a "mom" stare, while Zach mocks me with his eyes.

Yes, his eyes. They have this wicked gleam.

"Sorry." I try my best not to roll my eyes. The words come out forced, but they sound somewhat sincere if you listen really closely.

"And there are you parents!" My mom perks up as she spots two people near the food tables. "C'mon dear!" She clasps her hands around my dad's arm and walks on over, more like skips.

"You here to kidnap me, beat me up, hospitalize me?" I ask casually to Zach. "Oh wait! You already did that."

"Ouch, that hurts." He holds his heart. Gosh, with Zach wearing a regular t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, he looks young and harmless. If I didn't know better, he looks like a regular college student right now.

"Good." I smile sweetly. "So how do your "parents" know my parents?" Detective Emmalyn reporting to duty.

"Huh," he frowns. "I'm not an evil person. I'm a businessman."

"Same thing." I wave him to continue on.

"I'm your brother." He shrugs.

"WHAT!" I gasp loudly.

"Your face!" He laughs, pointing at me. "I'm kidding."

"You don't make jokes." I state angrily. "That was not funny."

"Is there a problem here?" Someone comes up behind me.

"No..." I say slowly. "It's fine Sunny."

"What are you doing here?" Sunny steps in front of me and into Zach's personal space. Wow, they're the same height.

"I can't enjoy a little bonding with your sister?" Zach smirks.

"Stay away from here and get the fuck out." Sunny whispers coldly. Uh oh, he's really pissed.

"Let's take this somewhere else?" I look around, seeing that we are drawing looks from guests.

"There's no need. Zach was just leaving." Sunny stares at him menacingly. Then, Zach whispers something quietly into Sunny's ear. Sunny hardens after that.

"Fine, fine. I'm not here to cause trouble." He says with an amused expression and leaves.

"What was that about?" I indicate the whispering.

Sunny looks conflicted. Then, he sighs and stares at me.

"It's time I told you the truth..."

---------
A/N

Sorry guys for the late update. The next update should be in two weeks. I have finals, APs exams, ASB elections, SATs and extracurricular activities that are stressing me out. I'm sorryyyyyyy :( but thank you for the support and votes!

Comment

Vote

Critique!