Chapter Three

Brianna's walk to work that morning was uneventful.  Clouds filled the sky, the promise of rain thick in the air.  Ever thankful she'd found a place close to work she hustled in the door of the diner, ready to begin her day.

Yolanda waved to her from the kitchen and went about her work prepping food for the  opening.  Smiling, Brianna filled sugar dispensers, napkin holders and made sure all was ready for customers.   Tucking an errant strand of hair behind her ear she unlocked the door and switched on the Open Sign, smiling as the first few people wandered in.   

It began to rain halfway through her shift, sheets of pouring rain, driving business away to other pursuits.   She chatted with Yolanda and another of the waitresses to pass the time, as fewer people came in.  She stepped into the kitchen to grab a fresh towel for the tables when she heard the door bell tinkling to announce a new visitor.    Hastily stuffing the clean towel in her apron pocket she hurried to the front.  

Just past the door to the kitchen she stopped, heart rate skyrocketing.   It was him.  The stranger from yesterday, dressed in another elegant suit with a long trench coat and a sprinkling of wetness in his hair from the rain outside.    Fighting the urge to blush she settled herself as best she could and greeted him.  "Good afternoon sir, shall I show you to a booth or would you like to sit at the counter?"

His eyes sparkled, he smiled warmly at her.   Perhaps, he thought, it was too soon to play this card, to return already.  Quickly he dismissed the thought, fixing her with his dark gaze.  "Why a booth would be fine, thank you Miss. " he fairly purred, knowing full well the effect he already had on her.  It was his job to know, to know how he affected his prey at all times, and he was a master at it.  

Trying not to seem foolish around this incredibly attractive man, Brianna led him to a booth with a view of the quaint town, then set a menu in front of him.  Making to move back to the kitchen to calm her nerves she was surprised when he immediately spoke.  "Please.  Don't go so quickly.  I'm quite new here.  What do you recommend?"

Fighting the urge to blush, she looked down at her toes then quickly up to his eyes and suggested coffee and a farmer's omelette.  His laugh, melodic and rich, surprised her.  Now the blush arrived full force as she heard his next words.  "Ah I'm sorry, I meant what kind of things are there to do here?  I'm not very hungry, a cup of coffee, black would be good. "

For a beat there was complete silence.  He let it drag out, delighted at her response.  It was all he could do not to take her, to bind her and remove her from this dull little town, begin her training.  Tightening his grip on the menu he forced himself to steady.   Patience always won the day for him, and today would be no different.  

Brianna stuttered, then smiled back at him.  "Of course sir, I'm sorry.   I can get you that black coffee.  As far as what to do in Sail Shores?  Harder on a rainy day of course...but there is excellent antiquing, a movie theater in Gibson, just about twenty minutes south.  Ida Mae's Ice Cream is always a nice place to stop.  It depends upon what interests you, I suppose.  Let me go get that coffee for you. "

Practically running from the table she shot into the kitchen, face aflame.  Why was he causing her this reaction, she wondered?  She'd dated before, although nobody half as good looking as him.  There was, perhaps, a manner about him that affected her and she was unsure how to feel about that.    Yolanda and Wendy; the other waitress were in the kitchen as she came in, both looking at her curiously.  When she told them about the newcomer Yolanda smiled and poked her in the ribs.  "He came back did he?  Bet he's not interested in coffee sweetie!" to which Brianna blushed further.  

Silently he watched her retreat to the kitchen to retrieve his coffee.  He heard the cook babbling and laughing and felt anger rising up.   This would not do, he frowned darkly.   She must be alone, truly alone for his plans to work.  He could not have anyone remembering him.  It was always the little details that caught up with one, and that, he would not have.  Before she returned from the kitchen he stood up, placed another hundred dollar bill on the table and left the diner....

Brianna stepped from the kitchen upon the sound of the door, his coffee in her hand.   She sought to curb the tug of disappointment when she saw he'd left.   Putting the coffee cup down on the counter she moved to the booth he'd sat in moments ago, frowning as she saw yet another one hundred dollar bill.   What did this mean?  She wondered, looking out with some alarm into the pouring rain.  He was gone again, just as quickly as he'd come.   Who was this man and what could he possibly want with her?

From his Audi, rain partially obscuring the view of the diner he sat, waiting.  Like a sleek panther stalking his prize he watched, smiling at the humor in it.  Once he saw her face peering out into the rain and he ran his fingers over the hank of dark cotton cording in his hands.  It was too soon and he would have to be so cautious in this small town.  The cook, he remembered with a sneer, was reminder of that.  His hands tightened on the cord as he sought to control the fury banking within him.....