Chapter 19

Rolling over to face away from the sunlight, I yank the covers up over my head

Rolling over to face away from the sunlight, I yank the covers up over my head. The white duvet glows above me, defusing the brightness, and I squeeze my eyes shut. I was having a nice dream before my excitement woke me. In this dream, I happened to be back in Florida at the beach. It was the beach that all of my school friends went to after school, large boulders coated in spray paint lead up to a cliff where they would jump off.

In the dream, I was sitting in the sand beside Jana. She was tanning and laughing, a beach goddess draped in sunshine. I laughed with her as the waves reached up to tickle my toes. About a second before I woke up, Jana pointed to the cliff and said, "Hey, it's Daniel. Watch."

I stared as he dove off like the reckless do, not even shouting on the way down, but enjoying the sensations. My eyes shot open when he hit the water, and I cursed at nothing.

Now here I am, curled up in bed, trying to return to my dreamland. It is not working.

I groan and kick the covers off of me before sitting up. My phone appears from underneath me, so I grab it to check the time. It is nine o'clock. On the screen, I also see a message from my mother. It reads: Stay safe, have fun, and remember I'm a cop. Turning off the screen, I get up and head for the bathroom. There are three bathrooms, the master for Daniel, the upstairs hallway one for Taylor and Jordan, then the downstairs one for Jana and I.

Swaying into the bathroom, I find Jana scrubbing her face. "Why did we give Taylor and Jordan the upstairs one? I'm already tired of coming down here every time," she groans.

"It's not that bad. This one is bigger."

She dips down into the sink, cupping water then splashing it to her bubbly skin. "Hardly."

I reach over her, grabbing my toothbrush and paste. "So what are we doing today?"

"We were all going to head down to the lake."

With my toothbrush in my mouth, I mumble, "Okay, should we pack lunch and bring it?"

"Yeah, that'll be cute. You can make Daniel a heart-shaped sandwich and sprinkle it with pink glitter," she amuses herself. I roll my eyes. "Hey, at least you have someone to daydream about. I'm just happy I don't have to see Tyler and his girlfriend every day as they hold hands and make out in the hall. Have some respect, we don't want to see that you pigs."

I laugh a little. "And I don't have to see Harrison or Daphne—well, hopefully."

"You won't see her. We're at the other end of the creek."

"What if she's going to the lake too?"

Jana finally dries her face, but the dripping water has already wet her shirt. "I highly doubt that. She didn't want to go a few years back because the water is dirty. It'll ruin her perfect skin, remember?"