29 | Together

"Hey."

Liam picks up right after the third ring. His voice is clear, alert, and he doesn't sound very surprised by my call. Ever since Vera started hanging out with her newfound friends, it was no longer an uncommon occurrence for me to call Liam late at night, tense and worried sick.

"Hey, I, uh . . . well." I falter, unsure of how to explain the situation.

"Carmen, what's wrong?"

"Vera sort of kicked me out of our room," I say finally, cringing at the way it sounds. I clear my throat and try to clarify, "She took something, Liam, and she was acting crazy and paranoid. She was screaming at me to get out. I . . . I didn't know who else to call."

My tone gives away the fact that the last part is a lie. I didn't want to call anyone else. But even if Liam picks up on it, he chooses not to mention it.

Instead, he says under his breath, "Jesus. Where are you now?"

"Outside my dorm."

"Stay there." Liam's voice shakes as something rustles in the background, as though he's hurriedly moving around as he speaks. I hear a door clicking shut before he says, "I'm on my way."

"Thank you," I say to him before hanging up.

I lean back against the tree, exhaling with hearty relief. A gust of wintry wind picks up, howling softly as it swirls around the trees and buildings. I raise my head to watch the leaves as they rustle and sway in rhythm to the breeze, the moon looming behind the treetops in the sky.

Bright yellow light flashes in my peripheral vision, distracting me. I turn to find a familiar-looking car, its hood glinting in the moonlight. I can barely make out Liam's outline in the driver's seat as the car comes closer and slows to a stop in front of me. With the engine still running, Liam leans over to push the passenger side door open.

The relief of seeing him is so overwhelming that I practically leap off the sidewalk into his car. All the anger and shock drains from my body the moment I settle into the cozy seat, and turn to look at Liam. His bright hazel eyes are peering into my face searchingly, his forehead creased in concern.

"Hey," he says a moment later, breaking eye contact to turn back and reach for something in the back seat. He brandishes a denim jacket that looks like a perfect fit for his frame. "I brought you this. I thought you might be cold."

The sedan's heater and my own coat provide enough warmth, but I reach out and accept the jacket anyway. Running my fingers along the fabric, I slip my hands into the sleeves. I curl my fingers inside the denim, worn soft with use and age.

Liam keeps the engine running, but his hands are idle on the steering wheel. The headlights throw their steady glow straight ahead, dutifully lighting up the street and dorm building in front. I draw a deep breath through my nose, relishing the soothing mix of citrus, laundered fabric, and cleanliness. Much to my own surprise, I find myself silently thanking Vera as I lean back against the soft black upholstery.

My attention snaps back to Liam when he turns to face me. "Where do you want to go?"

"It's too late to go anywhere, isn't it?" I say, searching the black sky through the windshield for any indication of the time.

"Yeah," Liam agrees and adds with a shrug, "but we can just drive around campus."

"Okay," I laugh. I shift around to buckle my seat belt, resting back again when the buckle slots home with a satisfying click.

Liam drives slowly around the dorm building, towards The Blacktop, and back around the new library. Silence fills the car through the entire ride, but it is unlike the comfortable lulls that usually interrupt our conversations. I look over at Liam and find his eyes narrowed in deep thought, his sharp jaw set in a tense line. The little panels on the dash shine against his face with a dim bluish glow, bringing his features to beautiful clarity.