92

C H A P T E R 92

"The Yule Ball?" Lee questioned out loud, with an unamused look. "What is that?"

Flitwick smiled. "Yes, Mr. Jordan. The Yule Ball. It is tradition in the Triwizard Tournament to help schools socialize. To dance and to take a break from the chaos of the tournament. Only Fourth years and above can attend but one can ask a younger student if they wish."

A few murmurs erupted and Lee raised an eyebrow at a few giggling Slytherins and Ravenclaws.

Flitwick continued. "Gentlemen will wear dress robes while ladies can shine in an elegant dress. Gladrags Wizardwear at Hogsmeade sells robes and a selection of dresses for those who did not read their Hogwarts letter and bring them. There will be another trip before break," Flitwick then continued on with his lesson but practically nobody was paying attention.

Everyone was thinking about the Yule Ball and how Hogwarts has never had anything like this before. Samantha wondered if she even owned a dress. Of course that implied that she did not bring a dress to wear and would have to talk to Tonks about sending her one. She had a break for lunch and thought about using the mirror. She also had to tell Sirius and Remus about her new relationship. They seemed to like Marcus so Samantha wasn't too worried.

The bell rang and while Samantha was cleaning up her supplies, Flitwick called out her name. "Miss Potter, if I could have a word please."

Her friends bid her goodbye and Samantha grabbed her bag and made her way to his desk. "Yes, Professor?"

"One more thing about the Yule Ball. The Champions and their partners open the ball with a dance."

"Dance?" Samantha said with a raised eyebrow. "We have to dance? Are you sure?"

Flitwick nodded. "That is what Professor McGonagall told me."

She sighed. "But I don't dance--I can't dance. I have no rhythm whatsoever."

He shrugged. "This what I was told, Potter. But you'll be fine. Just have fun."

Samantha thanked him and sulked out of the room. Great, she had to make a fool of herself in front of three schools. As she walked to the kitchens to get some food and head back to her dorm, she started to think about the Ball. She's never been to something like that before so Samantha didn't know what to think. It would be like hanging out with friends or like an expanded Quidditch celebration party.

Then her thoughts went to Marcus. He was probably at lunch with the group so they would fill him in, unless he already knew. She decided to go to the kitchens to get something to eat and then head back to her dorm to get ready for her afternoon classes and make a note to talk to her family after dinner where they weren't at work.

But would he automatically be her date because they were together?

Did he have to formally ask her?

Does he know how to dance? Because she surely didn't. Even though Samantha had a natural flow because of Quidditch, her slight awkwardness was not made for dancing. Alicia, who went to a dance camp over summer holiday, would definitely have to teach her a few things.

When Samantha walked into the kitchen, she saw someone she was not expecting. "Dobby?"

The house elf was walking around the kitchen wearing a tea cozy on top of his head and poorly matched Muggle clothes.

Dobby turned and squeaked. "Samantha Potter! Dobby is so happy to see you!"

Samantha smiled at him. She always loved how friendly he was even though she didn't talk to him as much as Harry did. Samantha only briefly met him two years ago but would recognize him anywhere. "It's great to see you too, what are you doing here?"