Chapter 32

"While your face would be an excellent addition to my collection, I'm afraid Yue and La would not be so pleased" Koh sighs. His long body trailed around the cave, going on for who knows how long.

My eyes simply gazed into his, not daring to make a move. "I hoped to ask you a question" I say in a bored tone.

His face shifts into that of a woman's, her long hair flowing freely. "How may I help you?"

"I need to find a Spirit who can help me control my abilities" I explain as he begins to circle around me.

"Tui and La are their spirit names. But to the physical world, they are known as push and pull, forever in an eternal dance."

A heavy breath draws from my mouth. "I already know they live in the Physical World, but" I pause, looking down to my feet in embarrassment "I don't know how to leave the Spirit World."

A loud cackle escapes from Koh, before his face is in front of mine. "My, you really are a weak spirit" he chuckles.

"Please, do you know anyone who can help me?"

One of his many legs hook my chin, pulling me to look at him. My face stays emotionless as he sneers. "You have already spoken to another part of me. Yet you dare to come into my home."

"What do-"

"Silence!" Koh snarls, his face shifting into that of plain white face, sprinkled with makeup. "I know you talked to my Mother, I can sense her power all over you. Tell me young spirit, is the face you carry even yours?"

Anger boiled through me, but I keep my face "Yes, this is my face. Your mother only weakened my powers so I could learn control."

"Well young spirit, the one you seek lives where air and water
combine to form something deadly. She goes by the Painted Lady and is the River Spirit." Koh turns away, giving me a moment to let out a heavy breath.

Realization hits by his hints "I remember the River Spirit, my Aunt pretended to be her!" I exclaim, just as he whips around.

"I must be going. Thank you, Koh" I whisper, my expression plain. Turning, I hurry from the cave.

---

"Painted Lady?" I call out once I get away from Koh's cave. My emotion wasn't the only thing that returned, as the voice also did.

You will never learn control.

Even with the best spirits, you will never learn to be good.

The darkness inside you has only begun to grow.

"Shut up, I'm trying to think" I growl, rubbing my temples. Looking down at my bare arms, small markings of mud decorate the skin. I've been here for  almost three weeks, and the voice was beginning to get on my nerves.

Pushing past a large leaf, my eyes widen at the sight. A rocky landscape seems to go on forever. The rocks are blood red, and dip deep into the ground, a misty fog hanging below.

"Fog" I whisper, knowing this is what Koh was talking about. Sliding down the rocky hill, I enter the fog. "Hello? Painted Lady?" I've come for some help."

I try to move the fog, but it doesn't budge.

"Your bending won't work here" a voice sighs. Whipping around, my eyes widen. It was me. Except black clothing covered her body, a wicked grin on her face.

"Oh Dakota, if only you joined our father. You could finally put that Leinani Ho in her place" she chuckles, toying with a mask similar to Amon's.

"Amon is not my father, and you're not real" I whisper, looking down to my feet.

"You could also grow a backbone."

Gasping, my body freezes. Narrowing her eyes, I slam into the ground. "You could've became your own person, someone other than the Granddaughter of Sokka and Mika."

"Doing what, hurting the innocent?" I spit, trying to stand, but she slams me down.

"The innocent is the girl who took your boyfriend, the boyfriend who moved on from you."

"Stop" I growl, trying to attack, but I can't. Laughing the other me steps closer "just accept that you're a bloodbender, and embrace the life that comes with it. You're powerful, you could take over the world."

"Leave" I groan as her grip tightens "Me alone."

"I am you."

"I'm going to fix myself. I won't become anymore of a monster, you or anyone else won't change that" I growl. Jerking me to my feet, she snarls.

She opens her mouth to say something, but suddenly she and the fog fades away.

"What-?"

"You!" A voice calls, a kind, caring voice. "Hurry! Before the fog comes back!"

Not thinking twice, I run towards the voice, until I'm at the edge of the large basin like area. A hand hangs above. Taking it, I'm pulled out of the fog trap.

Coughing, I look at the person. Grey streaks began to form in her hair, but her eyes sparkled with life. The dark brown seeming almost new. Her skin matched the darkness of her eyes, along with her hair.

"Are you the Painted Lady?" I ask, brows raising in confusion.

Shaking her head, she smiles "No, my name is Damini. I'm your spiritual guide."

"Where have you been?" I sigh. "I've been here for weeks."

"Im terribly sorry" Damini frowns "I've been trying to find you, are you alright?"

"Yes" I breathe "Now you can help me control my power and get me out of here."

"Come Dakota" she smiles. "Lets have something to eat, then we can work. Wrapping a gentle arm around my shoulder, she leads me off into the Spirit World.