Chapter Twenty: This Can't Be Happening

I thought I would give you guys this chapter early...enjoy! Also there was some confusion last chapter, yes...Mitch is currently dying....

*Trigger warning*

"No pulse. Again." The doctor said. Mitch's dad pulls the mom into his arms and she puts her face in his shoulder.

"Please. No." She said quietly.

"Charging....clear." The doctor said and they both hear is go off. She grips his shirt, hoping. "No pulse, again." She whimpers and tears fall down his cheeks hearing the defibrillator charging up. "Charging...Clear." Mitch's parents both has red and puffy eyes. But they look at the room. "Pulse, pulse, and unstable." She lets out a gasp.

"O my god." She said covering her face with her hands. He hugs her tighter, rubbing her back.

"Wh-What's wrong?" Jerome asks. Jerome looks at the room. The dad looks at Jerome. "Wh-What happened? I thought he was gonna be okay." Preston and Vikk come beside Jerome. Rob had stayed behind to keep an eye on Lachlan. Preston touches Jerome's arm as Jerome stares at the curtain. 'No..Did he? No! I should have been here for him, what if they couldn't revive him and I was just at home feeling sorry for myself?!' Jerome thought as his eyes water.

"Jerome..Jerome." Vikk said pulling Jerome away from Mitch's room. Jerome looks at Vikk.

"What? Mitch..He--"

"They got his pulse back but he is unstable. Are you sure you want to stay here, I mean..this is--" Jerome nods, balling his fists.

"Wh-What kind of stupid question is that? My best friend is dying right now, of course I'm staying!" Jerome said. Jerome's eyes widen when he hears a long beep coming from Mitch.

"No pulse! No pulse." Someone said. Jerome takes a step back with a look of horror and devastation written on his face. 'No! This can't be happening, Mitch isn't dying!' Jerome thought. Preston moves Vikk aside and grabs Jerome's arms.

"S-Sit down. Sit down, Jerome." Preston said pushing him to a bench that is in the hallway.

"Charging." A doctor said. Jerome stares at the room.

"C-Come on, Mitch. You can't leave us, leave me. Please." Jerome said through his tears.

"What's going on?" He hears Connor ask. Jerome flinches. 'Oh god. Connor can't be here. He looks up to Mitch.' Jerome thought. Vikk and Preston looks over at them seeing Kyliegh and Connor, bothing looking at the curtain covered room.

"No. Kyliegh! Take Connor away!" He hears Mitch's dad say.

"Clear." The doctor said as the charge goes off making Kyliegh flinch.

"Where's Mitch?" Connor asks. Kyliegh stares at the room.

"No pulse, again." The doctor said. Kyliegh's eyes widen as tears start to form in her eyes, not moving a muscle. Connor takes a step towards the room. "Charging."

"Vikk, take Connor away." Preston said quickly.

"M-Mitch?" Connor asks. Vikk picks Connor up and Connor struggles. "No! Put me down! What's wrong with Mitch?! What are they doing to him?!" MItch's dad mouths thank you to Vikk before Vikk walks away from the scene carrying Connor.

"Clear." The doctor said. Jerome flinches when he hears it got off, he covers his face with his hands trying to not start bawling like Mitch's parents are. Jerome grips his hair. 'No! No, Mitch you can't die! You can't...You aren't allowed to!' He thought.

"No pulse, Again." The doctor said. Kyliegh takes a step back from the room. Preston gets up and goes other to Kyliegh. Kyliegh looks at him and she hugs him crying into his shirt. Jerome stares at the floor seeing his tears fall from his face and hit it. He hears the charge. "Charging....Clear."

"Pl-Please. I can't lose him." Jerome said.

"Pulse. We have a pulse." The doctor said. Jerome covers his face waiting to hear whether they'll have to go through this again. "Stable." Jerome lets out a shaky breath. 'He's okay...He's alive.' Jerome thought. Jerome stays sitting here for a while, calming himself back down slowly. Vikk eventually comes back with Connor. Connor wanting to go into Mitch's room but Kyliegh grabs him.

"They n-needed to do some tests. So we are going home." She said to him. He stares at her and shakes his head.

"No. No, I want to see Mitch. His...His heart stopped didn't it? I'm not a ten year old kid, you don't need to cover up what was happening!" He said starting to cry. Preston goes back other to Jerome. Kyliegh looks at Vikk and than at Connor.

"Do you want to stay at Mitch's place with Jerome and them?" She asks. Vikk shakes his head.

"K-Kyliegh. That isn't a good idea." Vikk said. Preston rubs Jerome's back.

"There are gonna run some tests to see what caused this." He said to him. Jerome picks his head up from his hands slightly, his face stained with tears. Preston looks over at Vikk who is talking to Kyliegh. "Let's go home, we'll come back here tomorrow." He looks at Jerome. Jerome says nothing. Preston stands up. "Come on, they won't let anyone see him for some time anyway. He's stable and okay." Jerome's hands drop from his face, he wipes away his tear stains and gets up. Preston looks at Vikk. "We're gonna come back tomorrow, guys. Come on, Vikk."

Mitch's dad nods agreeing with Preston and Vikk follows the two. Jerome stays silent, handing over the car keys when Vikk asks for them. Jerome gets in the back, dead silent as they head home. Preston looks behind him, at Jerome. 'Lachlan is in a dark state of mind, Jerome has been since Mitch slipped into a coma. And what happened today, doesn't help at all.' Preston thought.  Preston turns in his seat, staring at his feet.

And once they got home, Jerome went and locked himself in Mitch's room without saying a word. Preston starts going upstairs and Vikk looks at him.

"You okay, Preston?" Vikk asks. Preston stops in the middle of the staircase.

"How can you be? We almost lost Mi-Mitch." Preston said before his eyes water. Vikk looks away.

"I was trying not to break down in front of Connor." Vikk said quietly. Preston walks up the steps and walks pass Rob. Rob stops in the hallway and turns around.

"Preston?" Rob asks going after him. Preston goes into their room, feeling whatever held back everything in the hospital break. He puts his arms around him and lays on the bed crying. Rob tries to get in, but the door is locked. Rob knocks on the door urgently. "P-Preston, open the door." He can hear Preston crying. Preston doesn't move from his spot. "Preston..please. Let me in." Rob knows that Preston hates crying in front of people, so this isn't new, but Rob is always on the other side of the locked door when Preston is upset. The door unlocks and Rob goes inside instantly, putting his arms around Preston.

"We...We almost lost Mitch." Preston said through his tears. Rob's grip tightens a little, than he kisses Preston's head.

"The important thing here is, we haven't lost him for good yet." He said quietly to Preston. Preston grips Rob's shirt, crying into it....