Chapter Four

Chapter Four: Radars

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." -Lemony Snicket.

-

"Sir our radars have detected unauthorized flight in a small town on the western side of California around four this morning."

 "Did it cause any damage? Any reports of people noticing anything?"

 "Nothing so far sir. The only thing unusual that happened is security cameras on one block were shut down for an hour."

 "Get Stark on the phone."

 "Yes, sir."

  He taps his foot impatiently as he waits for Tony to answer the phone.

 "You called?"

 "You weren't near a small town called Oakley this morning were you?"

 "In California?"

 "Yes."

 "Hm, that's where Pepper's parents live. But no I wasn't; I'm in DC right now about to attend a press conference. But even if it was me, my suits would appear authorized on all government radars. Oh, come on, don't tell me that all of the arguing about that went to waste."

 "We'll keep a closer eye on Oakley for now. But, Mr. Stark, keep an ear out incase anything happens. You'll be the first one to investigate."

-

 "Good morning, Monica, and- oh, hello, Alex!" My grandma exclaims as Alex and I walk into my house,

 "Hi, Mrs. Potts," Alex waves tiredly.

 "Would you care for a plate of scrambled eggs?"

 "Yes," We both reply at the same time.

 Alex collapses on the couch in the living room. I follow my grandma into the kitchen. "Where's mom?"

 "Oh, she just hopped in the shower," Grandma gets a carton of eggs out from the refrigerator, "Tony called her rather early this morning so she got a late start."

 "Ah."

 "What is Alex doing here so early? You know we don't allow boys to spend the night."

 "I know, grandma. Just unlike mom, I had an early start to the day," I take a few slices of bread and pop them into the toaster.

 My mom enters the kitchen a few moments later. Her eyes flash towards me, "Where were you last night?"

 "What do you mean?" I question.

 "I went to check on you around six this morning and you weren't there! I saw the bathroom light on so I just believed it to be you. But this morning I learned that it was your grandfather."

 "Why were you up at six?" I ignore her question.

 "Because Tony called me!"

 "Oh."

 "You didn't answer me. Monica, where were you?"

 "I woke up early and was in my garage. I've done it before," I shrug.

 "Oh," My mom's face instantly softens.

 "Yeah," I take two plates and leave the kitchen. "Hey, Alex, here's your-"