Chapter 22

January 1988
Cecelia Clark~
"Students prom will be on April 25th at 7:00 pm, buy your tickets as soon as possible again please buy your tickets as soon as possible." The lady yelled through the intercom from the center office on the main floor.

Announcements came on first thing in the morning and then in the afternoon. Students were about to leave and eventually go home or go to their jobs working a 3 to 9. I hadn't really thought about prom until this very moment. It looks like a lot of work.

"I've already picked my dress out and a back up one to go with it." Scanning my nails and then looking up, Whitley is prepared for the prom. But then again you'll never catch her slipping because she is always prepared.

"Don't you think that's too early?"
"Mmm better to buy it early than last minute."
1988 has been a unexpected year. I didn't start off so well but I'm here. Now we only have 5 months until graduation and I cant tell you how excited I am.

"Where's lover boy at?" She asked.
"He's rehearsing..." I look in my notebook full of reminders. "Yeah rehearsing." I finished.
"You act like his manager sometimes, I swear." She comments shaking her head.

Here's the deal,I'm not his manager but I made a promise to support him in all his musical efforts. Don does gigs every Friday and Saturday. They pay him decent money too. Don says he has a apartment but I've never seen it cause I don't think he does. He also says the money is to help him with tuition for school.
I'm so proud of Don he's a musical genius, so I know he'll do great in music ed.
He's come a long way.
Whitley had made her final decision for college pretty early and I did the same. I really wanted to take this next step with my best friend.

"Oh yeah your mom is here and she's talking to mr. Wright." Whitley informed me I twisted my head looking down the hallway.
It's not her fault she has a charismatic nature. But she could worn something more decent so the guys in the hallway wouldn't stare at her.
I walk down the hall after telling Whitley I would come back.

"Yeah Lamont things are great, I didn't know you taught here."

"Yeah everything comes full circle huh?" He says leaning on the wall.

"You would be the last one I thought would teach at north Charlotte High

"You would be the last one I thought would teach at north Charlotte High." She gazes at him longingly. And he chuckles in return.

"You always been that woman." "What woman?" She asked confused but still smiling.

"Those eyes Claire." "What am I doing with my eyes?" She bats her eyelashes just to tease him.
"Flirting." He answers. Balling up his fist and putting it into his pocket. He gives her a cheeky grin.

"I don't flirt Lamont, remember that."
"Okay." He nods his head but he still looks unconvinced.
"What brought you back to Charlotte anyway?"
"Well I've been here with family since November."
"I had no idea. You should have called."
"And what be your little fling for the time being?"
"Not necessarily, just to be a friend."
I waited for a minute so that I could speak I was learning things about mom that I didn't know.
Lamont.