thirty-five

Harry

I sighed as I gave a fast glance to the pile of paper sheets on my desk. They weren't many, just a few, but still enough for me to feel tiredness starting to creep up at the back of my mind. I got up from the couch and sat down on the chair, picking a few of them up, looking at the names on top of them, and frowning when I didn't find the only one I was looking forward to read. I took the first, tapping on the desk with my pencil, smiling at the feeling that correcting tests gave me. I missed my job, I really did, and I felt like that was the closest I would've ever got to it again.

I read the title, and proceeded in giving a fast glance to the text that followed. It was quite long, considering the sheets I had got before.

Halfway through the first sentence, I knew what it was about. It was a text about the last book I had told my class to read, just a few days before I had to go away. It was a difficult book, I knew it. My class had asked me so many questions about it, but only one had really stricken my attention.

"What's your opinion on the topic the book talks about?"

I glanced up to the girl who had asked that. "Why are you asking?"

"I think it's really personal. Like, that everyone has their personal way of understanding this book. So I was just, you know, curious about what you think about it" she replied, playing with her hair.

I straightened up on the chair. "I think that the link between two souls cannot be broken; that, if they are meant to be, they'll just keep searching for each other, despite time or distance."

She looked at me confusedly. "Are you saying you believe in reincarnation?"

I shook my head and stood up, walking in front of my desk and leaning against it.
"Not really. I believe that if two drops belong to the same sea, they're meant to find each other, and become one."

"There are a lot of drops in the same sea."

"We are all linked. We're so many, we can't seem to find the right one. Water is fluid, the drops meet and part, to find the One. However, if every drop were to make it, how could water be fluid? We would be just like rocks: an infinite laying of rocks, and with rocks, there is no life."

"What do you mean?" She asked, not understanding me anymore.

"Not everyone finds their happy ending. Just a few do, if they're lucky. The world needs water to go on, not bare rock."

"And you? Will you find yours?"

I gave her a little smile. "Maybe one day."

I heard my doorbell ring, and stood up. Noticing that I was still holding the sheet in my hand, I put it together with the others, leaving them on my desk.

I walked to the door, but just as I was about to grasp the door handle, I noticed that I was wearing a t-shirt. I let out a sigh of relief, knowing that it would've been a disaster if I had let the person in like that. I went back into my room, and put a long sleeved shirt on, before going back to the living room and finally opening the door.

Grace smiled at me the second my eyes met hers. "Get dressed, we're going out..." She looked at the time on her phone, "Now. We are going out now."

"Do I have no say in this?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"No, you don't. Come on."