Chapter 4 - Unraveling Emotions

The loud slam of the front door woke Albert from his deepened sleep. The wet towel James had left on his forehead slid down his face as he sat up from his bed and looked at James' furious expression.

"Whats wrong? What is it?" Albert croaked, his voice was horse from the sickness. James paced back and forth for a few moments taking off his shirt and unbuttoning his pants.

"Nothing nothing, it's fine go back to sleep." James spoke rapidly as he wrapped a towel around himself and stepped into the bathroom again slamming the door.

Albert merely sighed to himself and fell back asleep for hours. By the time he woke up there was not a sound in the room, all the lights were out and the only light was the low sunset orange color peeping through the light curtains. He got up feeling a lot more strength in him and entered the kitchen, a small bowl of hot soup was placed neatly on the round table. But rather than sit and eat he wanted to look for James and find out what was wrong earlier, why he had the red eyes of an angry mad man.

"James?" he said in a mid-whisper, any louder and it was scratch his throat. The bathroom door was half opened, so he pushed it gently, the door made a weird creak noise until it was all the way open. The bathroom curtain was drawn, could James still be in there?

"James...?" he stepped further into the bathroom and took hold of the curtain. I hope he doesn't get mad for peeking but he's not answering...

He pulled back the curtain quickly and found his friend asleep in the bathtub. James laid there with a wet hand towel on his head half covering his eyes, an empty wine glass on the corner of the tub railing, the water had gone down significantly it only rested above his belly button. Albert caught his breathe, his heart felt lodged in his throat. Here he was standing over his friend naked in their bathtub.

Oh but how precious did James look, so vulnerable, so gentle and serene. He always had such a harsh expression, although he was one of the most handsome young men in the community, it was difficult for people to get to know him due to his tough looking exterior. And for that Albert had always felt entitled; he was one of the few people James let into his life so easily and without obstacles. He cherished their close friendship, he cherished him so much it scared him half to death. Deep down in the darkest part of his heart, Albert knew that it wasn't just the companionship he had come to love from James....it was everything.

He loved him. More than anything or anyone; more than he could bear. And it scared him.

He reached down into the tub, his fingertips just inches from touching his bare shoulder. But he trembled, he couldn't control his nerves. He wanted to touch him, to grip onto him and have James wrap his arms around his waist and pull him in. Albert bit down onto his lip hard enough he nearly tore the skin, but it was customary to cause himself pain whenever he had such distasteful thoughts.

Get a grip, he whispered to himself before finally nudging James' shoulder.

"Hey..."

A startled James, spazzed in the low water and a low gasp escaped him from his deep drunken slumber.

"I was sleeping why the hell did you wake me?" James sounded annoyed, he jerked himself up and out of the bathtub without care of being completely naked in front of Albert. The boy in glasses however was stunned at seeing James in all his glory, wet and naked he stood in front of him for a few seconds before clearing his throat.

"Do you mind passing me my towel? Or would you prefer to take a picture?" James held out his arms questionably, watching the color in Albert's cheek turn red.

"S-sorry..." Albert stammered and grabbed a fresh towel to hand to James.

That night, James woke up from his restless sleep. He turned to his clock on the bedside table, 4:45AM. Looking up at the ceiling, he could no longer lay there and got up making sure not to wake his friend yet again. He walked out of their apartment and ascending the stairs to the roof of their building, he carried nothing except his Bible tucked under his arm and Elizabeth's purple scrunchie in his fist. His eyes were red, they stung with the heat of exhaustion, confusion and frustration. Dawn had still not come, yet the suns small rays could be seen extending into the purple blue sky.