5 - Speak

"The Prince is talking to you. Speak little sister or you'll angry him further"

One of the concubines spoke gently but I could hear the falseness in her kindness. Her voice was just like my mother.

"Ruyi apologizes for making the Prince wait... The mansion is large and Ruyi didn't know where the main hall was..."

I kept my explanation short as possible. No one likes to hear excuses. When there was nothing but silence, I lifted my head carefully and was confused to see the man was just looking at me with an expression I didn't understand.

Then a soft giggle broke the silence. I turned to look at the stunning women in red who sat nearby with a fan against her lips. She reminds me so much of my mother with the same glint in her eyes. When she stated casually that the maid must be punish for having not guide me there, the Prince immediately ordered to have the maid beaten and toss out the mansion. He didn't need useless people who didn't know who was the servant and who was the master.

The maid begged for forgiveness only to be dragged out by two guards. I've seen all my life how maids and servants were treated like trash. It was the very reason my mother did everything she could to change her station. While I hold no hatred for my mother, there was no affection either. My heart was empty when the maid pleaded me to help her.

How can I help her? And why would I when I did not know who she was?

"Leave us"

I bowed my head and took my leave at his commands. When I was grabbed hard again, I look up to see dark eyes.

"Not you"

I felt afraid to be looked at with such intense eyes.

"Leave!"

His voice was sharp and loud making it difficult for me not to flinch in fear. Once we were alone, he let go of my arm to look at me. He stood so much taller and bigger than me. The thought that he could easily break me in half like a tree branch made me feel nervous. When he continues to stare at me intently, I wondered if my appearance displeases him. The Marquess is well known in the province to have the most beautiful daughters. The Prince must be disappointed to find me incomparable to his gorgeous concubines. He must think how he was tricked by the Marquess who boasted about his beautiful daughters.

"Why are you so pale?"

I couldn't stop the trembling when his hand touched my cheek ever so lightly.