7 - Annoyance

I was called to greet the Prince again the next day. Unlike the first time, the maid made sure to guide me to the location. The fear on her face was apparent - she was learning from the previous maid mistake.

Before we reached the Main Hall, I could hear a woman giggling so happily. The maid was nervous while she stood at the doorway. She glanced at me with hesitation. I understood that behind the doors was an intimate scene between the Prince and his concubine.

We waited until the giggling stops before the maid tapped on the door. Two servants opened the door as if expecting our arrival. I kept my expression calm and quietly entered without looking up. I learned never show any sorts of emotions. Emotions will only worsen the punishment.

"Someone is on time"

One of concubines spoke teasingly. I kept my silence until I heard someone yelp in pain. Glancing up, I saw the Prince on his feet with a beautiful woman on the floor at his feet. It looked like she just fell.

"Why are you wearing the same clothes?"

I didn't understand why the Prince wants me to come when it was obvious he didn't like seeing me. Does he get angry like this all the time?

"Mei-mei" Another woman spoke half smirking – half scolding. "The Marquess is a wealthy man and being his precious daughter, don't you have better clothes to wear? Or is it that you don't care for the Prince enough to pretty yourself up"

What can I say? That the clothes I wore was no different than when I was living with the Marquess. Unlike my sisters, I was never given beautiful dresses or accessories.

"Leave. Seeing your face annoys me"

From beginning to end, I did not speak. Once they say what they needed to say, I bowed my head and left. That day, no one brought me my meals. I figured it was my punishment for making the Prince angry. Sitting by the window, I stared blankly out at the dark night sky, hoping that tomorrow the punishment would be lifted.