28

I gripped the stone and stepped forward, out onto a ledge, taking a deep breath. I opened my mouth, preparing to say something. 

"Welcome to my humble abode, Princess Raven." The dragon, enormous in size, opened one of his eyes. His eye was a deep blue, bigger than my head, wisdom whirling in them. His scales were iridescent, a mix of deep purple and black.

"How did you know my name?" I asked, my voice shaking. He chuckled, which was nothing more than a low rumble from his throat. He lifted his head and narrowed his eyes are me, his neck stretching so we were eye to eye. 

"I know everything," he said, his voice shaking the cave. "I am Sagacity, the dragon of wisdom."

I gripped my sword and looked around the cave. Torches sat around the cave, all lit. The cave ceiling was so high, I couldn't see it. Nothing but darkness above, where the firelight did not reach. I turned my attention back to Sagacity. 

"You seek help," he murmured, inching closer. "To save the land of Vivianenth, to see the downfall of King Tristian." He looked at me, daring me to speak. He yawned, showing off rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth and a forked tongue.

"Yes."

"But you are hesitant." It wasn't a question. I glared at him and took a steadying breath. 

"I have been told that I am supposed to be the Warrior," I said. He chuckled again and said, "You want to know the truth?"

"Of course." He sighed and looked me up and down, his wise eyes raking over me. I shifted and looked back at him, wondering if I should feel fear. 

"Mmmm," he said, stretching his neck. "No. You are not the Warrior." My stomach fell. 

"What?" I demanded, stepping forward. "What about the darkness inside me? What about King Tristian?" I yelled at him. He smiled and rested his head on the ledge I stood on. I jumped back. 

"The Warrior is a fairy tale. A useless wish, really. I suppose legends always get out of hand, and well, men don't enjoy women being the heroes."

"Say something that makes sense," I yelled at him, glaring him down. 

"You are not the Warrior. No one is. There is no Warrior. There is only the Queen. Specifically a dark one." He stretched out his wings and arched his huge back, his scaly skin stretched against his bony spine. 

I scoffed. "So what am I then?" 

"The real question is who," he rumbled. I stepped back and asked, "Am I this...Dark Queen?" 

He sighed. "No one has made it the Darkness, except you. You feel no fear. You have enormous power inside you. I think you are wise enough to answer that yourself." 

"I..." I gripped the stone again. "I'm the Dark Queen."

He smiled and held out a clawed hand. A cloud of darkness swirled around for a moment, leaving behind one item.

A beautiful black necklace. I stepped forward and picked them up carefully. "Thank you," I said. He nodded and held the end of the necklace up. 

A single tear ran down the side of his face and landed on the end, forming a pendant. "You've always been powerful, it's just been locked inside. With this tear, you will be able to harness it." I tied the necklace around my throat and smiled at him. 

"Thank you," I repeated. 

"You're strong, Princess Raven. It's time that you show them that."