Chapter Twenty-Three

Marston was damn proud of himself as he rode toward home with a turkey tied to the saddle and bouncing against his leg. He had a soft, warm woman he was going home to, he had a boy he loved like a son, the revolver had worked perfectly and there'd be turkey for Christmas dinner. Life was damned good.

Whistling a tune and feeling more lighthearted than he had ever felt before, Marston rode into the clearing and pulled Buck to an immediate halt. The whistle died on his lips. Dread lodged in his gut and rage burned in his blood.

He would recognize Duke's appaloosa gelding anywhere and he knew his brother's black saddlebags when he saw them.

Marston's mind immediately went back to the tired blond and what the gang had done to her. He leapt from Buck and his long legs ate up the ground as he thundered onto the porch and tried the door.

A roar flew from his lips when Marston realized it was locked. He took a step back and kicked the door with all his might, sending it flying open with a splintering of wood.

Marston charged into the cabin with his gun drawn and instantly settled them on Jeremiah's chest where the man sat at the kitchen table eating a steaming bowl of soup.

Jeremiah didn't falter as he stuck a spoonful in his mouth and smiled. "Good morning, little brother."

"How are you?" Duke's voice called from the sofa.

"What the hell are you doing here and where's my woman and boy?" Marston snarled.

"Marston?" Rose gasped as she came out of the bedroom with a dress draped over her arm and her sewing bag in her hand. "Marston, put that gun away! Did you break the door?"

Marston was dumbfounded. His gun wavered a bit but didn't leave Jeremiah's chest. "Where's Langley?" he asked.

"I'm right here," Langley replied, stepping out of his room with one of his many storybooks clutched in his hand.

Relief washed over Marston. Rose and Langley were fine—but what were Duke and Jeremiah doing here? He glanced back at the broken door when cool air blew against the back of his neck and then turned his attention back to Jeremiah as he put his gun away.

"What the devil are you two doing here?"

Rose stepped forward and got to her toes while he stooped to allow her to press a tender kiss to his cheek. "They came to help," she replied, smiling brightly. "Did you get a turkey?"

Marston slipped his arm around Rose's soft waist and pulled her against his hip. "Yes, I got a turkey. What are they here to help with?"

Before Rose could answer a loud slurp came from the table and Jeremiah smacked the table top. "No damn wonder you wanted to settle down with this one! If I met a woman who could cook up soup like this I might even let myself catch the crazy. We'll have to come visit more often."

"You're not supposed to visit at all," Marston growled. "What part of that didn't you understand?"

"You oughta be damned thankful we stopped by," Jeremiah grumbled. "We found your woman and boy all alone and so we let ourselves in and kept them safe until you got back."

Marston's brow raised. "Safe from what? You had better hope neither of you did anything to them."

Rose let out an exasperated breath. "Oh for goodness sakes, Marston!" She swatted his chest. "They've been the nicest guests I could ask for. They heard in certain circles a few things about Winston Meade and knew he was heading this way with trouble on his mind."

"Little did we know the man had already shown up and been dealt with," Jeremiah noted. "It's good to know the Marston we know and love is still living beneath that new family man exterior."

Marston had to let this news digest a moment. He raised his hat an inch and scratched at his temple. He turned his attention to Duke. "You came to help me?" When Duke simply nodded, Marston shook his head. "What happened to not risking your hide for anyone else?"

Duke snorted. "Our hide wasn't in danger from some slick talking banker man," he assured her Marston. "Your woman and boys were though and we didn't want to see anything bad happen to them."

"Oh..." Marston rubbed at his jaw without knowing what to say. Duke and Jeremiah riding in on a rescue mission for a woman and child made no sense... it sure as hell was out of character for the men who claimed to care about no one.

"You've been like kin to me for a while, Marston, and that makes that woman and boy kin as well. I ain't never had real kin but I've heard they look out for one another."

Marston glanced over at the table where Langley and Jeremiah were sitting. Langley had his nose buried in his book and Jeremiah was watching the interaction between Marston and Duke closely.

"How long are you both staying?" Marston asked Duke.

Before Duke could reply, Rose was speaking. "At least until after tomorrow. I invited them to stay for Christmas."

Marston was certain the damned woman had lost her mind. He gently took her arm and pulled her through the broken door and out onto the porch. "What's the matter with you, woman? You do realize what kinds of men those are, don't you?"

Rose nodded as she plucked a dead leaf from his shirt and released it into the wind. "Yes. They're the kinds of men who ride hard just to get here and protect your woman and boy. They care about you."

"No they don't," Marston snapped. Caring was weakness. Hell, Duke had helped harden that idea in his head!

Rose rolled her eyes. "Honestly, what is it about men and sharing feelings? Those men care about you regardless of whatever has happened in the past. Maybe they're changing just the same as you have."

"I doubt that," Marston grumbled.

"Well they do," Rose's jaw jutted out stubbornly as she stared hard up at him. "And they're staying until after Christmas."

Marston was a smart enough man to know when to fold his cards. He heaved out a sigh and pulled her into his arms, rubbing his hands on her back to help her ward off the chill. "Fine, but they're sleeping in the barn. Jeremiah snores louder than a steam engine and Duke talks in his sleep."

Rose laughed lightly against his chest. "Whatever you say." She pulled away and stepped back into the cabin. "You men need to fix the door before it gets any colder," stated. "And then you can fill up the wood boxes while I get that turkey plucked and ready for cooking tomorrow."

Jeremiah and Duke both jumped to their feet. "Yes'm," they spoke in unison.

Marston's shoulder slumped as his jaw hit the floor. "Since when do you two follow orders?"

Duke chuckled. "Well the way I got it figured is she's your woman so if I piss her off, I've pissed you off and you are one big mean man that don't want to have pissed off at me. Not only that, but she must be tougher than she looks if she strong-armed you into settling down."

"But I didn't.... " Rose began.

Marston shook his head. "It's good that you've got it figured right." He felt Rose's glare on him and his lips curved with a smile. "Most of it anyhow."