30. A Boy Needs His Mother

Chapter 30: A Boy Needs His Mother

Allen

We were just finishing up breakfast when the doorbell rang. Mika and I looked at each other, confused. Who could possibly be stopping by this early on Christmas morning?

Since I was already standing, I went to open the door. I wish I hadn't opened it.

On the front porch stood Sarah, looking even frailer than the last time I saw her, if that was possible. She was bundled in a large winter jacket, but her face looked so hollow, so sick. She smiled up at me though when I opened the door. In her hands was a box - probably an old shoe box - wrapped in paper that had little Santas on it. I could guess why she was here, and although I didn't like that she came by without any warning, I didn't think I could say no.

"What are you doing here?" I asked anyway, wanting confirmation before assuming anything.

The smile fell right off her face. "I came to see my baby on his very first Christmas. You can't forbid me from seeing him, Allen. I have something for him and I want to give it to him myself."

I sighed. So I did assume correctly. "I never said you couldn't see him today." She had a right to see him, so I couldn't send her away. Not today, anyway. It was Christmas.

With a nod of thanks, Sarah walked right by me and into the house. After closing the door, and hanging up the coat she so graciously dropped on the floor, I followed her into the kitchen, where Mika was standing by the sink looking at me with one eyebrow raised. I quickly mouthed a "sorry" and he only shrugged. I'm sure I'll hear something about this from him later.

"Hi my sweet baby," Sarah cooed as she sat in the chair next to Sammy's high chair. "You've gotten so big, haven't you? Oh, you're such a beautiful baby."

Deciding that I could leave her with him for a minute or two, I motioned Mika over to me. He had a questioning look on his face, and I watched his eyes dart over to Sarah, as if to ask if leaving them alone would be okay.

I nodded and beckoned him over again. This time, he came and I grabbed hold of his hand when he got close enough and pulled him into the hallway.

"She's not going to stay long," I told him quietly. "I just couldn't say no, not today. She's still his mother."

Mika rolled his eyes. "You still care about her, don't you?"

That wasn't true. I didn't care about her, not after everything she did. I love Mika now, not Sarah.

He kept talking when I didn't say anything. "Maybe you don't love her - I know you don't. But there's still some sort of feeling there, right? I'm not mad or anything, I'm just pointing it out. You still have a soft spot for her. You're going to let her get away with murder if it'll help Sam."

I sighed. "If anything, it's pity and the fact that she's his mother. That's it. She's done enough damage - to all of us. I'm sorry you had to get caught in the middle of this mess she's caused."

Mika didn't say anything for a moment, the only sounds being Sammy's little giggle and Sarah's soft voice coming from the kitchen. At least he was laughing this time. It was a much better improvement from the last time they saw each other.

Then the corner of Mika's mouth turned up into a smirk as his hands went to my waist. "You know," he said, "if it weren't for her creating this mess in the first place, then I never would have met you."

I leaned down to kiss him. "Oh, the way fate works," I whispered against his lips. "It works in mysterious ways."

He smirked again - I could feel it. "Whatever you say, Allen."