Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Langley had been feeling his worry grow with every day that Marston was gone. It had been over two weeks since Marston had left and the note he'd left Langley had been very clear—he might not be coming back. Langley pulled that worn and folded piece of paper from his pocket for the hundredth and didn't have to read it to know what it said.

Langley

I have some business to take care of and I'm going to be gone a while. I expect you to keep up with your chores while I'm away and mind your mama.

If something happens while I'm away and I can't come back to you and your mama, I want you to know how much having you both in my life has meant to me. I didn't tell your mama that there's a chance I won't come back because you know how she worries, but I wanted you to know.

You are a good young man and if I can't come back then you'll be the man of the house and you'll have to keep your mama safe and keep her company because she'll be sad. You'll have to be strong for her but I'm not worried because I know you can be.

I should be home in a couple weeks but in case I'm not, thank you for letting me be your pa.

Marston

Langley carefully folded the letter and slipped it back into his pocket. It had been over two weeks....Langley was beginning to think that Marston wasn't coming back. He wanted to cry. He wanted to scream. He wanted to run out into the world, find his pa and bring him back. But Langley couldn't do any of those things. Marston had asked him to look after his mama and that's what he was going to do.

When he heard his mama in the kitchen, Langley stood from his bed and walked out of his room. He studied her closely and wondered what she was thinking. It was clear that she was worried and it was also obvious that she hadn't been sleeping well while Marston had been away. Her hair was messy, her face paler than usual and there were dark circles surrounding her distracted eyes.

"Good morning, mama," Langley greeted as he sat down at the table.

Rose barely glanced over her slumped shoulder at him as she kneaded bread dough. "Good morning, baby."

Langley didn't remind her that he was no longer a baby. She placed a plate of oatmeal and peaches on the table in front of him and Langley frowned. "Aren't you going to eat?"

Rose shook her head, avoided his gaze and went back to her bread. "No, I'm not hungry this morning."

Langley sighed as he picked up his spoon and began to eat. He knew his mama needed to eat but he also knew that she wouldn't. Arguing would be a waste of time. Lately she hadn't been doing much other than staring out the window as if hoping to see Marston riding in at any moment.

"Eat your breakfast, Langley. Then we'll feed the animals and head into town. I need to speak with Doctor Brinkley."

Langley dropped his spoon into his bowl. "What's wrong with you?"

His mama met his gaze for the first time and Langley could feel her sadness it was etched so deep into her face. He wanted to help her, to protect her, but he had no idea how. The ghost of a smile curved her mouth. "Nothing," she promised. "Why would you think something was wrong with me?"

Langley's eyes narrowed. "If nothing is wrong then why do you need to see Doctor Brinkley?"

Rose gaze wavered slightly. She opened her mouth but before she could speak the sound of a horse approaching reached their ears. "Marston!" Rose exclaimed.