Chapter 16: That Which is Lost

Al aged 14, Ed and Van aged 15.
Van POV:
"What's going to happen to Doctor Marcoh? Are you guys worried?" Al asks and I give him a small exhausted smile.

"The Fuehrer said he's going to protect him now. There's not much we can do unless we want to start a new war." Ed answers.

I feel indebted to Marcoh. Like I should have helped him like he helped Mustang. He dropped a note in front of Ed. It read;
National Central library
1st branch

The genuine truth behind truths

Tim Marcoh

"As a fugitive, Marcoh must have found a way to hide his work right under the military's nose." Ed says after reading it.

They question what Marcoh means and whether to keep it a secret from the state and in the end they decide that it's best that way.

Third Person POV:
The Fuehrer packs his things from his desk and gets ready to leave.

"Leaving so soon, sir?" Mustang asks.

"Funny how things work. Now that Scar has showed up here in the east, the bureaucrats are suddenly concerned about their duties back in Central. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you, Colonel."

"Can you choose my punishment first?" Mustang asks.

"Punishment?"

"I've known where the Crystal Alchemist was hiding for some time now. I've never informed the State."

"It was a job well done, Colonel. I've been wanting to put the good doctor in protective custody. My second in command, the late Brigadier General, was violently opposed to it but as you know, he's the one who ordered Marcoh to use his work in battle. This life has been hard on Marcoh and I wanted to make it up to him."

"But in terms to his research, sir, we have-" Mustang is cut off.

"That will be all. I will continue to rely on you, Colonel."

Before leaving, Mustang salutes, tells the Fuehrer to have a safe journey then closes the door.

Hawkeye stares in shock at Mustang.

"You see. I came out fine as ever."

"You know, maybe it would do you some good to get your hands slapped every once in awhile."

"Don't blame me. That guys a wall, I can't figure him out."

"Ehhhh." Al's voice is heard and both Mustang and Hawkeye look towards it.

"Creation follows destruction. I'll fix him up nice and pretty." Armstrong says while he flexes and sparkles surround him.

Van POV:
I stare at Armstrong in disbelief.

Why is he like this?
I face palm.

"Uhhh, that's okay." Al says.

"Bonding a soul to steal is no walk in the park. Fullmetal's the only one who can fix Al now." Mustang says but doesn't make eye contact with me. He hasn't talked or even looked at me since Doctor Marcoh was taken into custody. I wonder if it's because he's ashamed. Or maybe he thinks I should have stopped it from happening. I look down.