Chapter 114

"It was good to see you both. Don't be strangers," Logan called out the front door as he closed it behind his parents.

He wound his way back to the kitchen, where Rory stood in front of the sink with a soapy sponge in her hand. "Well, I never thought I'd see the day, Ace!"

Rory blew some bubbles his way in mock indignation. "You keep that up, Huntzberger, and you'll be the one doing dishes."

Lora's first Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. It surprised Logan that both of his parents took him up on the invitation to celebrate the holiday at their Stars Hollow home. Honor and her family had other obligations, as it was Josh's family's tradition to head to Florida for a long, luxurious weekend.

"So your parents seemed to really get along. I'm not sure why but it surprised me."

Logan chuckled. "It surprised me too. I didn't have high hopes for how the day would progress with both of them here but they enjoyed each other's company— probably more than when they were married."

"I overheard your mom ask if your dad still wanted to go to Martha's Vineyard with her next week. I wasn't sure what to make of that."

Stunned, Logan turned to face his wife. "Do you think my parents are dating each other?"

Unable to stop her laugh, Rory covered her mouth. "Oh my, what is they really are?!"

"You know, they have both changed. My dad doesn't take work quite as seriously as he once did. My mom appears to have realized what things are important and what isn't. Maybe they both needed time apart to truly appreciate what they had."

"It wouldn't be the first time divorce has brought a couple back together."

Logan stood in silence as he digested the revelation. Suddenly sure it's what was happening, he laughed again. "Think they'll get remarried?"

*****

Lane, Zack, Brian, and Gil sat in a conference room of Atlantic Records' office, waiting for their meeting to begin. It had been several months since Craig Kallman first called Lane about being interested in Hep Alien. Since then, they had been on a small scale tour and began to take the music more seriously, working to write and record new songs.

A knock on the door alerted them to the arrival of Craig. He entered, closely followed by another man who was of average height with brown hair. The unknown man kept his head down until he was seated, at which time he looked up to face the band.

Dave Rygalski.

Lane smiled broadly, thankful to have a chance to see Dave again. She had him to owe for this meeting since he was who passed their demo to the CEO of the record label.

"Dude, Dave! What's happening, man?" Zack asked, clearly surprised to be face-to-face with his former bandmate.

"Not much Zack. I heard you got a promoted a few times over the years."

Rolling his eyes, Zack nodded. "Yeah and I'm not happy about it."

Dave turned his attention to Brian. "Brian, how have you been?"

"Good. I'm working on getting my real estate license so I can become a broker with Century 21."

Gil laughed. "Will you have to give up your nifty blazer if you make broker?" Without waiting for an answer, Gil stood up and reached across the table. "We haven't met but I heard a lot about you. I'm Gil."

Dave stood and accepted the hand shake. The group chatted for a few more minutes before Craig cleared his throat to signify it was time to move on.

"As you're aware, we have been in negotiations for a few months about a record deal. The tour fared well and we've had a good response to your music. What Dave and I have done is put together what will be our final offer to you. If you accept it, wonderful. If not, then I'm sorry but Atlantic Records will not be pursuing you any farther. Truth be told, we've already gone above and beyond what we would in a situation such as this." Craig looked at Dave. "I suspect that his personal ties to Hep Alien could be why he kept pushing for a deal to made."

Dave took over and laid out the offer.

By most people's standards, it was excellent. It gave them more touring options, as well as the room to debut a record within the next year.

And the money.

Lane's mouth dropped open at the money.

While it was nowhere near what famous bands were pulling in, it was more than she and Zack would earn in fifteen years at their current jobs. Combined.

Several questions were posed and more discussion ensued. Once talk began to die down, Craig and Dave excused themselves to allow the band members to make a decision. After the door was closed, the four looked at each other and began to smile.

After more than ten years, Hep Alien finally had a record deal.

*****

Lorelai was tending to the twins, working to get both of them bathed and ready for the day. Eli was jibber jabbering in his crib while she put a clean diaper on Gabby. A few moments later, Gabby began talking too.

"Are you two talking to each other in your own language?"

Sometimes, it just randomly hit her that she had been blessed with two amazing babies. There had been times when she didn't think she would mother another child, both before she and Luke got married and while they were trying fertility meds.

Then to see these twins, Lorelai's heart swelled with love.

As she had many times before, she thought over Rory's childhood. While she always worked to make it special, as a young mother, it was hard to truly provide Rory with all she deserved. There were times she missed school plays or had to decline music or dance classes because time or money wouldn't allow. She always had good intentions but good intentions with lack of ability made it hard to scrape by at times.

Thinking back to the closing of the Dragonfly last week, it was nice to know her and Luke's bank account now contained more than enough money to "scrape by". She never could have dreamed to sell her half of the inn for the amount she did— let alone to her mother. But she did. And she was proud.

All the work, the tears, the worries. It was all worth it to be here, living a life she only used to dream of.