Chapter 5 - Part 2

I turned to face Matthew. He stood with a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was wet and water droplets were sliding down his chest. His eyes appeared guarded as they took in his phone, still in my hand.

"How could you?" I asked, feeling the hurt spread through me, making it impossible not to taint every memory I had of us together—our first night together up to this moment of betrayal.

"What are you talking about?" he said angrily as he stepped forward and yanked his phone from my grasp.

I watched while he read the message before he shook his head at me. His action made me angrier than before.

"Is that her name? Taylor?" I said, fighting to save some dignity.

"Who do you think Taylor is?" he asked, his voice calm, which only intensified my growing despair.

"Don't treat me like I'm stupid!" I yelled, tightening my fists.

My chest hurt and I could feel the sting of tears, but I held them off.

"Sarah," he said in that soothing voice he used to deal with me when I was feeling emotional.

I glared at him. "Don't you dare 'Sarah' me."

"This isn't what you think it is," he started, but it did nothing to ease the ache in my chest. "You think I'm cheating on you?"

I pressed my lips together as I continued to glare at him.

"Why?" he asked, stepping closer. He scanned my features as if he was trying to decipher something. "Have I given you any reason to believe I would?"

"You always take phone calls in another room," I stated, feeling the need to bring it out in the open. I didn't for one second believe I was some needy girl who was making a mountain out of nothing. "It feels like you're keeping something from me."

"So you assumed it was because I was calling another girl?"

I nodded.

"Why didn't you just ask?" His eyes held mine.

"I was scared of the answer," I got out.

He looked down at his phone and tapped the screen a few times. What was he doing?

"Here is Taylor," he said, giving me the phone.

I took it from him and looked down at the picture. The girl was beautiful, with shoulder-length platinum hair. She had striking blue eyes. She stood beside a guy with a tattoo sleeve who had one arm around her. He had midnight-black hair, and his blue eyes were looking at the girl in the photo with adoration.

"The guy with her is her boyfriend, Sin Carter."

I had jumped to conclusions and now I felt like an idiot. I handed the phone back.

"Taylor is my friend."

There was nothing I could say that would take back the accusation, but I mumbled, "I'm sorry."

He approached me and I dropped my eyes to the floor. He lifted my chin with a finger.

"She's been dying to meet you," he said.

"Really?" I looked at him with surprise. "You've told her about me?"

He nodded. He took my hand into his and pulled me closer.

"Would you like to meet her?"

I nodded. "Yes, I'd like that."

He hugged me and pressed a kiss to my forehead. His lips lingered like he didn't want to let go of me, and I wrapped my arms around him.