Comforting

Kayla's P.O.V ( Jacob's picture above)

My head is pounding. I reach in my bag and pull out my bottle of Tylenols. Shaking out two of the small blue pills, I look around to see if I can find a waiter or waitress to get me a glass of ice water. I try to get several waiters attention but they speed walk right past me like I'm invisible. I give up after the 5th waiter passes me up. So I put my head down and close my eyes. Typical. I never get noticed anyways; nothing new. The only time I ever get noticed is when someone bullies me. But I'm used to it by now. I feel myself falling asleep. When all of a sudden I feel a tap on my shoulder. I don't look up to see who it is. " Go away; leave me alone", I mumble to whoever it is.
" Lil ma, it's me Jacob". Jacob? What is he doing in here? I lift my head up slowly and wipe my eyes. He smiles at me and hands me a cup of water. So I guess he must work here.
" I'm sorry I didn't come sooner I was cleaning up another table and I had to seat a family of 7 at a table. I saw you but I thought someone would have bought you a glass of water before I did". I grab the water slowly; I feel my hands tremble slightly. He looks at me with questioning eyes. I look back down at the table.
" You mind if I sit down Kayla?" I look back up at him surprised. He wants to sit with me; isn't he supposed to be working anyways? I nod my head anyways, and he sits down. I put the tylenol in my mouth and sip my water.
" You've been sittin here for a while, you waitin on someone", he says.
" No I... I just needed a quiet place to think." He looks at me for a while without saying anything. He's making me nervous. So I start to twist my curls with my fingers.
" I never seen you with your hair down, you should wear it like this more often." I look at him and raise one eyebrow.
" Uhh I... I mean... not sayin' that it doesn't look good in a puffball like I usually see you wear it. But it looks nice like this too." He looks down at his phone. Did he just say I look pretty? Is he nervous? Nah he couldn't be.
" Thanks". I smile at him a little.
" No problem Lil ma. And can I ask you something?"
" Sure..."
" Your eyes are kinda red, are you ok?" Should I tell him what's wrong? He seems so sincere, like he actually wants to hear whats wrong with me. So I tell him everything that happened with Savannah and how Lucas snapped on me about not taking up for myself.
" I wouldn't even trip on Savannah, she wasn't gone do nothin. And ole dude can't tell you how to react in situations like that. You did the right thing by not entertaining that girl. It's not that you were scared; It's just that you are mature enough not to stoop to her level if ignorance. So don't worry about it Lil ma, don't feel bad ok." He stood up and lifted my chin up with his finger so I could look him in the eyes. I immediately felt my face get hot.
" I know you keep to yourself. People try to take advantage of you and bully you because your a quiet girl. And that's cool because your in your own lane. Don't ever let anyone put you down because they don't like how you act in certain situations. Ok?"
I'm speechless. No one has ever talked to me like this. Especially not a boy. A boy who everyone knows or wants to get to know notices my characteristics. I look away from him. Nervous, Confused. But he turns my head back to look at him.
" You don't have to say anything, just nod if you understand." I nod my head and he smiles.
" Are you hungry? I could bring you something to eat."
" Uhh... a...a I'm..."
" Does Chicken Alfredo sound good?"
" Yes, thank you... how much?"
" Don't worry about it Lil Ma, I got you". He walks away and I feel my face. Its hot like I have a fever. This has to be a dream or something. I pinch myself.... Owww Oh yeah, I'm most definitely awake. I can't even think straight. My phone starts to ring. Lucas. I let it ring. He can go jump off a bridge. Jacob is right. I shouldn't have gotten so upset, but I can't help it. I know I should start speaking up fir myself. But at the same time I don't have the patience to be arguing. Especially petty arguments. I turn my phone on silent. Jacob comes back with 2 plates; one for me and one for him.
" Here you go lil ma?"
" Thanks Jacob.... for everything."
He smiles.
" No problem, I didn't want you to be upset anymore."
" I'm not, thanks to you". I smiled at him genuinely this time. We started to eat and talk. He told me how he dreamed on getting drafted to the NBA and how he grew up listening to old school just like me. We were having a great time. I thought he would be stuck up because he's part of the popular crowd but I was wrong. He's humble. I like that. And he's actually listening to me talk like he's interested in what I'm saying. We kept on talkin for at least another hour before I decided it was time for me to find a way home. Because I most definitely was not about to get in the car with Lucas. Absolutely not. We walked out if the restaurant and stood there.
" It was really nice talking to you Ms.Kayla"
" It was nice talking to you too Jacob, see you at school". I turned around and I was about to walk away when he grabbed my arm. I spin back around. He let go.
" Uhhh.... can....can we do this again? Like talking", he said as he scratched his neck. He was nervous. But why?.... Hold up. Is he asking me out on a DATE!!!
" Ummm.... I... uhhh...".
" I'll take that as a yes Lil Ma, see you soon." With that he kissed my hand and left me there with my heart practically beating out of my chest. When I got myself together I turned around and bumped into a guy. Lucas. Was he standing there that whole time?

Hey guys, thankyou for continuing to read and share my story with your friends. Another update is coming soon - shy 💜