-T W E N T Y - T H R E E-

Chapter Twenty-three: Mackenzie's Birthday

I sighed in content. In a few hours, I'd finally be considered an adult. All my life I've waited for the moment I got to wake up and be considered an important part of society. Or at least not too young to do anything. Even so, I didn't feel like staying up until midnight. School had taken every bit of energy I had. People kept surprising me and wishing me a happy early birthday. It was nice even though I hardly knew any of them.

When I got home, I took a nice shower and headed straight for bed. I lied there staring at the ceiling. When I woke up again, I wouldn't be seventeen anymore. I'd be considered an adult. After a few minutes of contemplating, I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

I heard my door slam and I shot up my heart raced. Kira and Indie stood there with wide smiles on their faces. Kira was holding a cupcake with a candle in it. They both approached me, singing the birthday song.

"Happy birthday dear Mackenzie," They sang. "Happy birthday to you!"

I smiled at them, "I love you, dweebs."

With that, I blew out the candle. Kira handed it to me and I tore the bottom off, placing it on the top. Cupcake sandwiches are the best way to eat cupcakes. This way, you get frosting in every bite. They got me red velvet, my favorite. Once I finished, they both stared at me.

I sat up more, feeling awkward, "What's wrong with-"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Indie screamed before smashing the cupcake she was hiding behind her back into my face.

"You little-"

"BURGLAR!" Dad yelled, running into my room with a baseball bat.

I could tell by his messy hair that he just woke up. Indie and Kira both ran to the opposite side of the room. He stopped, realizing the situation. He sighed, dropping the bat. He glared at Indie and Kira before leaving.

If they woke him up, there was no doubt mom was up too. Tanner was probably already awake anyway. Indie shrugged and took a seat at the end of my bed. I gestured for her to come closer. When she was at arm's length, I slapped her shoulder. She glared at me, rubbing her minor injury.

"Will you guys let me sleep now? I was in the middle of not dreaming," I flopped back down on my bed.

"Actually, we're staying," Kira corrected, jumping on the bed next to me.

Instead of protesting, I simply rolled over and faced my wall, "Goodnight then."

"Ooh, where'd you get the cow-"

My hand flew out and snatched up my stuffed animal, "I said goodnight."

-*-

I woke up to the smell of breakfast. The smell was so strong, I couldn't help but sit up. My parents stood at the doorway with a tray of breakfast. Mom smiled at me lovingly while dad looked focused on not dropping the tray.

"Look at you, all grown up," Mom sniffled.

Dad frowned, "Grown up? I only see a teenager whose phone bill I still pay."

I rolled my eyes, "Phone or no phone, I'm still a legal adult-"

"Whose phone bill I still pay," He shrugged. "I digress. Happy birthday, kid."

He set the tray on my nightstand and pulled me into a hug. Mom was still at my door, wiping away tears. Dad sighed, returning to her and pulling her to his side. She smiled at him and they both left. Kira let out a small sigh and I turned to her.