Session Nine: Sunday Drive

Michael awoke early the next morning in a wonderful mood. For once, life was great. He had money, access to one of his dream cars, and he was about to go on a date with what very well could be the girl of his dreams. Michael got dressed in a nice collared red shirt and nice khakis went into the kitchen, put some pop tarts into the toaster, and checked his text messages from his watch.

He found about 50 messages from Nick. All variations on contact me ASAFP in ALL CAPS.
Michael resorted to just calling him.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH! WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN!" Nick yells, after picking up immediately.

"I don't remember my mom too well, but I don't think that she was a female dog."

"Don't act like you don't know! "

"Know what!?"

"It's all over fucking YouTube. It even made 1320 video!"

"WHAT!"

"Foxbody and BRZ DOMINATE Palmont B class... they didn't see you, but I'd know that crowd killer anywhere."

"Oh. Friday? Look man... that was just to pay rent for this month..."

"I'm still pissed. My best friend. We were supposed to be racing together once I got my Civic."

"Dude, I know. But... look man... I don't think your dad would pay for..."

"It arrives at the docks next month"

"Bullshit."

"What did I tell you! Mako got me a deal!"

"Look man. If it makes you feel better, you can join the team..."

"Really?"

Michael realized that wasn't the best idea. Nick was a lot slower than Michael was behind the wheel of the Foxbody. On the other hand... Nick did take that online course on mechanics , and spent every ounce of his spare time playing racing video games like Forza and Need For Speed. But he didn't spend too much time driving in them. He was always messing with the car tuning.
"Look, you said you know your tuning right? Maybe you can help with car setup?"

"Alright... but I really wanted to race..."

"Tell you what. If you get that Civic, and you get good with it, then maybe I'll let you race in C class or whatever that rice bowl fits in."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

"Alright. See ya man."

Michael hung up. He got his pop tarts from the toaster, ate them, and went outside. He had no idea what to do to pass the time until 5:30. He noticed Michelle sitting in the rocking chair on the porch, playing that ancient Nintendo Switch they had won from a claw machine when they were still in elementary school. Still in her pajamas which consisted of a short "Subaru! Impossubaru!" T-shirt and no pants, just underwear. Great. That was their only game system, so there goes his source of entertainment, because Michelle would refuse to share or play split screen.

Michael sighed. What to do. He went back inside, and noticed the keys to the 350R sitting on the table. Well, now I've got something to do.

He grabbed them, threw on his jacket and jogged outside, double tapping the key fob to start the car.

"Bro, where you going!?" Michelle shouted.

"Out!"

Michael got into the car, and headed out of Redview. He didn't feel like pushing the car. Just cruise and listen to the 5.2 liter flatplane V8. He rolled the windows down, and rested his arm on the window sill. Just let the car lazily idle in sixth gear as it grumbled along. He had no desire to drive too fast today, he had already tamed the beast.