Chapter 34

I was frozen in the doorway

While Bolin excitedly announced my return, my attention was frozen on Leinani's. She had more muscle than before, water puddling on the ground around her. Her dirty blue eyes seemed to be as frozen as mine. Surely the visions I saw in the Spirit World was true, Leinani was a bender.

She could easily beat me in a fight, since the full extent of my abilities have yet to return.

Then my attention drifted to the collection of people standing around her, each of them looking more or less like Leinani. These were Saki and Firelord Zuko's children. They all glared at me angrily.

The cracking and screams from my nightmares ring through my mind.

Looking back, Bolin frowned. "Dakota, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Bolin" I say, slowly stepping towards the group. The children of Saki all looked at me with different expressions as I began to walk. Anger still washed over one of them, her amber eyes glinting. Yet one brother looked down on me with pity, while his twin seemed conflicted on how to feel.

Meeting my gaze, Leinani takes a step back, the small puddle of water twitching at her feet. "Leinani" I breathe, exhausted. "I understand that you're upset-"

"That doesn't even begin to cover it" she snarls fiercely, yet her voice still shook with sadness. "Just stay away from me. J-Just stay away, or I swear on your Grandfather's grave you'll regret it."

"Please, just let me-"

Yet again, I'm interrupted. "No!" she spits "I don't care what you have to say. You hurt me. Just saying 'I'm sorry' isn't going to make me forgive you." I had to try and apologize, before her family would keep me away for good.

"I'm sorry I couldn't control myself" I admit.

"Dakota!" A voice rings out. I barely begin to turn before Grandma yanks me into a  fierce hug. "Oh my sweet child, what have you done?"

"It isn't permanent" I whisper, taking in her sweet scent.

Pulling away, she frowns at my body. "Dakota, have you been eating?"

Looking down, I bite my lip. "Some, but most of it was just an illusion. Please don't worry Grandma, I'm fine, I promise."

"Nani!" Bolin calls out, breaking me from my reunion.

Whipping my head up, I catch the glimpse of Leinani running back into the temple. I pull away from Grandma,  and try to follow the girl.

One of Saki's children try to stop me, but I whisk past her, stomping into the air temple.

"Leinani, please!" I call out, reaching the door just as it slams shut. "Let me apologize!"