31

Between sets we take a break. I stand up from my place on the bench and stretch. "When they make a last hit, instead of blocking it outright, back up a bit. Even if they slam it down, it will have less power than a normal hit," I overhear Ukai telling Hinata. I look at our player and look for signs of injury, fatigue, or low moral. 

The freak duo seems as good as ever, captain and co-captain are in high spirits, and the fiery second years as well. I think back to first set and what I can glean from it. Johzenji is full of wild cards and learn quick. I assume they would be able to do the synced attack if they attempt it again. I can't let my eyes off them, especially when I remember the match with Aoba Josai. I can't let that happen. I have to be there for the tea-

"Don't look so tense, you and Ukai-san have coached the team for this day," I jump nearly six feet in the air. Daichi jerks back as I jump, "Sorry!" he exclaims as my shoulders loosen up. I rub the back of my neck. "I-It's fine,"

"But seriously, don't get nervous about it," he nods and I nod back. The whistle tweets and he flashes me a smile and a thumbs me. I crack a half smile and a thumbs up in return. "Let's do it!!" Hinata and Kageyama holler together. I sigh and ruffle my short bangs, thinking of what this next set will have to offer.

~~~

The point gap grows with each little mistake they make. Terushima goes to serve and hits it out. I cross my arms and stare into the players as they call for a timeout. 'Their unpredictability is their biggest weapon and biggest weakness. Karasuno has found a happy medium while Johzenji has not. Sure their hard to pinpoint but their accuracy is greatly compromised.' 

"That means we don't even have to do anything but be in that medium while they fall apart from the inside," a gritty voice chimes into my thoughts. "Did I say that out loud?" I mutter, earning a nod from nearby players chugging water.

"I knew Chihiro-chan was smart but I never could imagine this," Nishinoya tells me between gulps of water.  I'm taken aback by the sudden proclamation. "I feel bad for the other team, that stare of yours is scary," Asahi shivers. I raise an eyebrow, "Sorry," I rub the back of my neck in a mixture of embarrassment and shame.

"Hey, as long as that stare keeps us in the lead, you're fine," Ukai slaps my back roughly as the player reenter the court.

~~~

"A synchronized attack?! Now?!" loud shouts from the stands resonate with my nervous foot tapping. Their moves are sharper, are they going to pull it off? They almost did in the last set. A tweet and red flag ends the match altogether. "Out!" Our score flips to read 25. I blink a few times as the thought sets in. "That's it?" I mutter.

Our team bounces around with grins hooping and hollering. A rare small smile of contentment curls on my lips as the team runs around and high fives each other. "It's just like you said! Their strength was there weakness! That's why they lost!" the orange ball of energy bounces.

Third POV

Like a switch, Chihiro returns to her usual quiet and timid personality, dodging tall player worriedly. When Aone approaches Hinata she quickly skirts around them, clutching her clipboard.

She stays in the middle of the Karasuno group as they move to the bus to leave. Ukai yanks her into the seat next to him so he can discuss tomorrow with her.

"Wakunan, huh? I don't think I've heard too much about them," she bites the inside of her lip. "Their defense leans towards that of the flexibility Nekoma," the image of Kuroo and Kenma slinking around like a cat to receive the ball with smug expressions and a 'oyaoya' above them passes through her head. 

"We'll have to lean towards a more structure attack rather than the all-over-the-map playing of today," Ukai nods at her statement. They go back and forth with different strategies until the bus stops at the school.

Ukai calls the team into the gym for a quick meeting. "Good work for Day 1!" he exclaims as everyone sits on the floor cross-legged. "If we win the next match, we'll have two matches in consecutively," Takeda-sensei announces. 

"Wakunan, unlike the teams we have played so far, still have their third years. With a top-notch defense, you guys need to take your time attacking. Don't get impatient, especially the easily excited and simple-minded duos," Eyes shift to Hinata, Kageyama, Nishinoya, and Tanaka.

"Don't worry! We'll back them up!" Daichi smiles before getting serious. "Alright, tomorrow, we'll stay in this," The team hops up onto their feet and gets in a circle. We put our hand on the person to our left's back and stick our other hand out in the middle. I reach up fro Daichi's back and Ukai rests his hand on my shoulder as we finish off the meeting.

"KARASUNO FIGHT!" Daichi hollers. "OSU!" the team returns with before going their separate ways.

First POV

I return home and crash into bed after showering and setting my bag out for tomorrow. I'm determined to bring this team to nationals. I shut my eyes and sleep the best that my brain will allow me. --Which is like five hours.

~~~

We stand in front of the gym entrance before we enter. The powerhouse schools each make eye contact with each other silently. I try my best not to cower away from their harsh stares. As we enter the gym, eyes stayed on us. 

"That's Karasuno, right?"  "You mean the fallen crows?" words fill my ears. However a few passing sentences really catch my attention. "That little girl with the glasses is their co-coach,"

"Really?"  "Yeah, don't you recognize her? That's Moyasu Chihiro, Japan's chameleon, and former U-18 player," The old nickname amuses me, even sending a small smirk to my face.

It's been awhile since I've been called that. "Japan's chameleon?" Yamaguchi chimes. "I get that nickname because I don't specialize in any one position. Coach put me in whatever position would be beneficial," I explain at a medium volume.

"Let's go in! Time's wastin'!" Ukai hollers out from in front of the gym doors in the lobby. "OSSU!"