30 - Pregnant

With the impending trip to Wu Xi, the Prince was worried if my frail body could handle the long trip. Traveling outdoors for weeks, I could easily be burned by the sunlight. So to built my endurance, the Prince suggested that we walk after every meal.

"Your highness"

We were walking in one of the gardens when a young servant appeared. Immediately, he went to his knees with fear in his eyes. Everyone held their breath because they knew better than to interrupt the Prince and his Wang Fei.

"Your highness, please forgive this lowly servant for the interruption" He said in a shaky voice. "But concubine Mei Lin is sick and_"

"So what?" The Prince voice was cold and detached.

Concubine Mei Lin – I recognized her name and knew who she was. She was the Prince's favorite concubine who have been with him the longest. She knew all his likes and dislikes and was favored because she never asked anything from him.

For me, I knew Concubine Mei Lin as the woman who the Prince took the night of the wedding. When I first heard her laughter, I knew who she was.

"Concubine Mei Lin is pregnant" The servant blurted out before the Prince could call for the guards.

My heart went numb. I yanked my hand out of the Prince's grip and ran. The Prince didn't chase after me. Instead, I heard his angry voice ordering the maids to look after me. I didn't know there were tears in my eyes until my vision was blurred.

I didn't know there was something else more painful than poison.