Chapter 44

Chapter 44

You don't really know who you're going to fall in love with at what time in their life. They can be the worst off they've ever been in their life, but you can't help who you fall in love with. That's part of the excitement of life - new people, new experiences.

SHAY'S POV

Regina made dinner for everyone as night drew closer. As we sat down to eat at the round table, Jess and Steven start a conversation between each other and Regina tries talking to me. I knew it was to get my mind off of things, and I was grateful for that. But no matter how many subjects we go through the longing want for Harry to come back won't leave.

It wasn't long before Regina tried again─ and I admire her persistence.

"What about school, Shay? What's your plan?"

Believe it or not, this was actually something that didn't require complex thinking. I had thought about Uni before all of this, before I met Harry.

"Well," I say, "right now, I'm taking a gap year."

"Really? Why?" She tucks a red lock behind her ear.

"Uh...I just needed a break from everything." I chuckle at the irony. "Funny how I'm thrown into even more things."

Regina nods. "Life can be like that sometimes. But I understand that you could use a break, and you'll get one. Soon. Okay?"

I remember that Regina knows about my family and the stories. Losing my brother was the main reason I decided I needed a break in the first place. I needed to make sure Dad was okay, but it's hard to do that when he's at work all night and asleep during the day. But Regina understands to some extent. I really hope she's right, too.

As I take another bite of food a thought comes to mind.

If Regina knows about me, maybe she'll know something about Harry's life. I still wonder about his mum, how she looks and what she's like. Regina could know, even if it's an inkling more than what I know.

"Regina," I utter weakly, and she looks at me expectantly. "I-I, um, I was just wondering─ and you don't have to tell me, but I was wondering if you knew anything about...about Harry's mother?" I finally spit out.

She's silent for a moment and just as I was about to tell her to forget it and that I shouldn't be meddling in Harry's past, she chuckles. "You know Harry doesn't trust easily," she says. "Only very few people know about his mum, and with Lucas being one of those few, you think I might know something?"

The grin doesn't fade from her lips as I nod.

"Well, you're right for the most part," she confirms. "But it wasn't Lucas how told me, it was Harry."

I'm shocked a bit. I understand Harry has known Regina for longer than he's known me, but it's mostly the fact that someone knows something. "He did?"

Regina nods. "I don't know much, but I can help as best I can."

So many questions that need answers, but the first that demands attention slips past my lips.

"Where does she live?"

***

I finished my dinner at the same time Jess did. It was on purpose for the simple fact that I need to talk to her. I pushed the buzzing thoughts of Harry's mum to the back of my mind. I'll deal with them later tonight as I lay in bed, unable to sleep.

Jess was standing at the sink, rinsing off her dish and placed it the dish washer next to her. I stepped on the other side of her and she acknowledged my presence.