Ch.14: Hush

Classes had already ended for the day and all anyone could talk about was the upcoming trip we were taking the next day. The group around Pearl seemed excited for the chance to go shopping and get an overly sweet drink from Starbucks. Most of the others were happy to just be getting a change of scenery. From how hyped they all acted, I felt like I was the only one carrying dread around like a ball of lead in my stomach. It didn't feel right, this change of heart, after hearing how dangerous it was if anyone found out we were going to Rigryce.

There was no point in voicing it. I had to go whether or not I wanted to, my only other option risking getting booted out due to not following Council-issued orders. The rational part insisted that there was a good reason, that every precaution would be taken care of to make sure we returned safely. The other part of me, the one made up of instincts, couldn't fully buy into that. The Council was elusive and the only ones that knew what they did behind the scenes were the members themselves. And from what I had seen, Madam Moreou's strong encouragement of pets wasn't shared by other members.

Kali and Claire were a few steps ahead of me, discussing what they wanted to do while gone. Kali still seemed a little put off by the whole thing but was slowly warming up to the idea the more she saw the other's enthusiasm. Knowing her, the first place she would want to visit would be a bookstore to catch up on any novels she had missed the release of. She wanted to believe it was safe and just a fun weekend for us while the vampire students got stuck staying here to do who knows what. If only I could follow her lead.

Claire seemed pleased with the announcement but hadn't given any suggestions on what she wanted to do. Calling her a friend was honestly a loose term since I still didn't know much about her. She refused to talk about her family, only admitting that they lived in Miami, and from the way she acted in class, it felt like she didn't want to be a Pet either. She'd warmed up a small bit to me and Kali over the last few months but I knew better than to go poking a bear in the ass with a stick.

I was still silently mulling over the situation when moving out of the corner of my eye caught my attention. Craning my neck, I saw the familiar form of our tour guide from the first day here turning down the next hallway. Seeing an opportunity, I called out to my two friends. "I'll catch up with you later!"

"Where are you going?" Claire asked, pulled out of their deep conversation. She raised an eyebrow in question.

"I just remembered I needed to ask Madam Jacot a question about a dance move I'm having trouble with." Something told me it wouldn't be a good idea to tell them where I was going. Besides, I didn't want them there when I asked Sydney some of the questions that had been bouncing around my head.

Not giving her the chance to respond, I rushed after Sydney, not caring that it was in the wrong direction of where I said I was going. Knowing the two of them, they had already moved onto a different train of thought once I had brought up a professor anyway. Clair was a firm believer that school should not be talked about during the weekend and Kali had her research she focused on outside the classroom. Hoping that I hadn't missed her, I let out a relieved breath when her form came into view just a few feet ahead of me. I picked my pace up, shrinking the space between us further, before clearing my throat. "Excuse me?"

Sydney didn't turn around, a clear sign she hadn't heard me. I tried again, being a little louder. "Excuse me?"

This time, she tilted her head and stopped walking to turn around to look at me. "Can I help you?" There wasn't an ounce of recognition on her face as she studied me.

"My name's Eden. You gave us the tour a few months ago."

"Ohhh, that's right!" She said after thinking it over for a moment. "Now I remember you. How are you liking it at Rigryce so far?"