TWENTY-FOUR

The night had long since spread its dark blanket when Eliza made her way toward the Slytherin Dungeons

The night had long since spread its dark blanket when Eliza made her way toward the Slytherin Dungeons. She had been in the library, attempting in vain to rewrite her failed Charms assignment. But she had chosen the library also because it was a public place. With both O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s quickly approaching, it was now seldom empty even late into the early morning and it provided her with at least the childish solace of inclusion.

Of course, the presence of others was not something that Tom Riddle feared, and she knew it too. She could be a dead body and nobody would notice when he was around. Whether it was out of respect or fear, people never questioned him.

Eliza walked quietly down the torch-lit corridor, finally arriving at the Slytherin common room and, mumbling the password, entered it.

But she froze not more than three steps into the room. Tom was standing there, leaning casually against one of the desks as he turned over a small trinket forgotten by one of the other students in his hands12. For a moment, he didn't move, allowing her heartbeat increase to a painful drumming. Then his eyes flickered over to where she was standing and the corners of his lips were tugged upwards just the slightest.

Her breath hitched as Eliza stared at him. Taking a few steps backwards, the girl let her satchel slide off her shoulder and hit the floor quietly. Her hand moved to her pocket, gripping her wand tightly before she whirled around and then she was running.

She wasn't sure what the idea in her head was, or if there really was an idea bigger than adrenaline and survival instinct, but she was running as fast as she could. The Hogwarts dungeons were like a maze made up a dozen different corridors. Maybe she would be able to lose him if she was fast enough.

Her footsteps echoed and the green light of the enchanted torches danced on the walls as she ran, her breaths laboured and wand clutched tightly. She glanced over her shoulder when she turned the corner and bumped right into someone.

Instantly she snapped her head forward, pointing her wand right at the person's face. Clarice's eyes widened and she took a step back quickly, the dark ringlets swaying around her face from the movement.

Then when the girl fully comprehended the sight in front of her, her brow furrowed and she frowned. "Eliza, are you well?" asked Clarice in evident worry. "You look like you've seen a Dementor?"

"I..." she began, but her words died out as she slowly lowered her wand. "Sorry, I didn't mean to run into you like that."

"That's quite alright," the other said with a small smile. "But are you sure everything's -"

"Eliza," came Tom's feigned tone of affection as he suddenly appeared from behind the corner and the girl stiffened instantly, "where have you been? I've been looking for you."

She opened her mouth though no words came out and then shut it again, flinching and squeezing her eyes shut as his arm moved around her waist, clutching a little too tightly.