Chapter 15

It's Friday night and I find myself yet at another stupid student party at the quarry with Wade

It's Friday night and I find myself yet at another stupid student party at the quarry with Wade. I'm sitting on the bed of my truck, drinking beer while he's on a hunt for yet another drunken enough girl, saying he has to make use of this weekend because exams are in a few weeks and there will be no drunken girls for a while. I find it hilarious how Wade struggles to keep in mind his own working schedule but he has mapped all holidays, school breaks and when all the exams are. The man really goes out of his way to get a cheap pussy.

For the last two weeks, I didn't see much of Lana. She's behind on her schedule, or at least that's what she said, and she's been studying every night, in her room, behind closed doors. Every day when I get home from work there is always something to eat ready for me but besides a few brief encounters, no Lana.

I'm pretty sure she's hiding from me, from us. Maybe I shouldn't have told her about the 'no paying proposition' she looked embarrassed enough. In any case, I decided to give her some room and I spent last weekend in the woods, with Wade, hunting. There is not much I can do to help the situation. I'm just giving her some space. I want her to be comfortable around me. But honestly, I'm starting to get frustrated by her constant absence. I want that calmness again, I miss that calmness. I didn't even realize how much I got used to her being around.

I hop down from the bed, light a smoke and look around. I'm already bored and we haven't been here for more than an hour. Suddenly my eyes catch a familiar face. It's that Anthony guy. He talks animatedly with some other people. How does he manage to still look that smug with that broken face he's got is a mystery to me. He's on something for sure. That little shit, I wonder what happened between him and Lana that made her just pack her things and run away from him. Maybe I could make him tell me before-.

An arm lands on my shoulder in a weird half hug. "Not a good idea," Wade whispers in my ear.

"What?" I turn my head to look at him

"I know what you are thinking. Don't!"

"Please, even you would enjoy that one," I grunt quietly.

"That's not the point. Lana lives with you. She lived with him. I heard him talking shit about her. Do the math! Think Jackson! Cops will go straight to your house to ask questions."

I put down the smoke. "Whatever, I'm out of here." I just turn around and leave. I'm done with these stupid parties. I wanna go home, where it's quiet.

When I get to the house I don't see any lights. Maybe she's out. Maybe she's sleeping. I open the door and switch on the light by it. I am startled by a yelp, searching the source I am greeted with the sight I didn't expect, at all. Lana is standing in the kitchen, in her underwear, her hair down, looking like she's freshly out of the shower. She has earplugs on and it looks like she's been looking for a snack as the fridge is open. She's breathing heavily and hastily tears out the earphones.

"Oh God! You scared me to death! You are never home before dawn when you go out with your brother!" She then suddenly seems to realize how little clothes she has on and she jumps behind the door of the fridge. And I'm still staring, I can't stop staring. It's been awhile in so many ways and it's her! I can feel my pants getting tighter and as if on their own accord, my legs start to move. She's eyeing me as I'm getting closer and tries to lighten the mood.