❝ say what you can't say ❞

(unedited)

Say what you can't say,
Say it's the end,
Say anything.
There's something to find,
In all the places that you fear.

"Happy the Hard Way" –Every Avenue

When I passed Mr. Sullivan's room Wednesday after school, he was packing up his desk. I stood there for a moment, trying to decide if I wanted to go in and ask what he was doing. I wasn't close to Cameron Sullivan by anyone's terms, but what if it was important?

I decided to ask, since I was who I was, and of course, I was curious. As usual.

"Mr. Sullivan?" I asked, stepping into the classroom. He and Skylar has broken up, so I wasn't really sure what to call him.

He looked up. "Ms. Evans. Did you need something?"

"I was just wondering what was going on," I replied, gesturing to the half filled boxes.

"I quit," he said, moving the contents from one of his desk drawers into the box at his feet.

"You quit?" I repeated. Like his job as a teacher at the school? Why? Because of Skylar and the break up?

He nodded.

"Why?" I asked. "Is it because of Skylar?"

He stiffened. "Because of my brother. And because your boss being your ex-girlfriend's father isn't the best situation to be in."

"Why because of Daniel?" He had been arrested, but what did that have to do with Cameron and his job.

His eyes flickered to the open door. "Shut the door," he instructed. I did as he said, then looked at him expectantly. "He was arrested, and almost charged with murder, Elena."

"But he's out now," I pointed out.

He didn't look surprised by me knowing, though I didn't know whether it was because he knew I was friends with the Elite or because he knew I was Kaden's adopted daughter.

"He needs a break. We both do," Cameron said.

It took me a moment to understand what he meant. "You're leaving town?"

He nodded.

"With Daniel?"

Another nod.

What about Daniel's involvement with Kaden's case? Had he agreed to this? Did Kaden know? Did Cameron know Daniel was more involved with Olivia than he thought?

"He agreed?" I asked.

"He took a year off from university and he needs to start his second year soon," Cameron replied. I noticed he hadn't actually said that Daniel wanted it too.

"That's not an answer," I said.

Cameron sighed and leaned against his desk. "He's reluctant. But he'll come."

"What about Skylar?" I was guessing she didn't know since they had broken up this weekend. If she did, then it was probably from her father. Skylar had decided to skip school this week, 'take a personal week off' as she claimed.

"We're not together anymore," he answered, turning back to moving things from his desk.

"But don't you still care about her?" I asked. It was nosy, I know, but how could he just leave? They had seemed pretty close in the few moments I had spent seeing them together. And if he was running... No, Cameron and Daniel couldn't really be involved with Olivia and the Elite's game, they had no reason to be. Daniel was only in it because of Kaden and Skylar had said Cameron didn't know about any of it.