35 - Marquess Fourth Daughter

"These are gifts to Emperor Huizhong." The Emperor spoke with a light smile. "It's your duty to present them to him"

Just as Duke Haijin was about to refute, Marquess Li spoke out.

"Did I hear correctly? The Duke is taking his Wang Fei with him? My daughter?"

"Yes, you heard correctly"

After the initial surprise, the Marquess laughed. While others laugh with him, some were nervous. Everyone look at the Duke and saw how calm and nonchalant he looked even though he was clearly being laughed at. They assumed the Duke let the Marquess laugh because he was the father-in-law.

"Duke Haijin, that daughter of mine is very delicate. I'm afraid it's impractical to take her along with you. This trip isn't for leisure. You can't forget your duty because of beauty"

The Marquess dared to lecture the Duke like a father to a son. Many held their breath, expecting the Duke to explode with anger. Instead, the young man chuckled and folded his arms across his chest.

"Marquess Li, you out of all people should clearly know why I keep my Wang Fei close." The Duke spoke with a grin. "With her beauty, I have to stand guard of insects and bugs trying to steal her. No one here wants a crazed Duke killing people left and right. So it's best if my beautiful Wang Fei stays close to me"

Everyone as startled by his words. No one expected the Duke to be possessive of a woman. Who in court hadn't seen or know what beauty was. Everyone also knows the Marquess Li is famous for his beautiful daughters. They have seen the Marquess' three eldest daughters and admit their beauties are the best in the country. Still, no one thought that Duke Haijin, a man who has seen all type of beauties – a man who is difficult to please, would actually be smitten.

Marquess Li was shocked to hear that the coldhearted Duke favored his daughter – a daughter whom he did not favored. In fact, he had forgotten her name. He barely remembers how she looked. He recalled her sickly appearance and how frail she was. He was sure that she was not the beauty the Duke claimed her to be.

When someone murmur if the Marquess' fourth daughter was truly as beautiful as the Duke claimed her to be, others grew curious as well. Truth was no one had seen the Marquess' youngest daughter before. She was kept hidden because the Marquess worried for her health. At least that had been the Marquess' reason when he first proposed marriage to Duke Haijin.

At first the Duke refused the marriage but the Marquess boasted that his fourth daughter is the fairest of all the women in the world. The Duke dark gray eyes sharpened like swords. Everyone knew the Marquess was baiting the young Duke. Duke Haijin was sharp enough to know it was bait. But he accepted with a deadly grin. Duke Haijin said he would accept if the dowry was acceptable. Marquess Li offered a year worth of his earning. 

The offer had been the talk of the country.

"Umm, now that you mention it" The emperor voice made everyone to snap out of their thoughts. "I have not seen your Wang Fei since your marriage."

No one saw Ruyi because she had been covered from head to toe. Everyone could only remember the small figure in red. She did not make a single sound while Emperor gave his blessing to the Duke and his new bride.

"Is she truly beautiful? I'm curious"

The Duke scowled at the Emperor who playfully smirked back.

"If that's the case" One official spoke up. "Please invite your Wang Fei to Empress Dowager's moon banquet this weekend. So that we may all admire her beauty"

"My Wang Fei is not some harlot woman for you to see as you please" The Duke cold voice froze everyone's blood.

The throne room went still. Everyone was too afraid to move or make a sound.

"Of course Duke Haijin's Wang Fei isn't a harlot" The emperor simple laughs broke the silence. "Official Nan misspoke"

Instantly, the old man apologized, but the Duke ignored him with his arms folded and his expression hard.

"Empress Dowager's moon banquet is an enjoyable occasion. Any young noblewoman would be excited to attend since Empress Dowager use that night to give her blessings and gifts"

Everyone knows the Empress Dowager's gifts are exceptional pieces of accessories.

"I don't recall Marquess Li's fourth daughter ever attending. Duke Haijin, you should not keep her from going this year"

The Duke's scowl deepened.

"And shouldn't you allow the Marquess to see his precious daughter?" The emperor smiles held deep meanings. "I'm sure he will miss his daughter when she leaves with you to Wu Xi"

Only then did the Duke's scowls faded.

"As your majesty say" The Duke was calm and cool again. "This Duke will attend the moon banquet with his Wang Fei"

"Great! Great" The emperor clapped his hands. "I'll tell Empress Mother the news. She will surely prepare a wonderful gift for the Duke Haijin's Wang Fei"

The court meeting ended with that. After the Emperor left, Duke Haijin, like always, was the second to leave. No one uttered a word until the two men left.

"Marquess Li" An official whispered. "Did you not say your fourth daughter was sickly and dull?"

Marquess Li frowned. That was exactly what he believed.

"Why is the Duke boasting?"

"Do you think he's being truthful?" The Marquess smirked. "I know my daughter. I know who gave away to that man"

The Marquess' expression was that of a fox while he spoke sarcastically.

"But_"

"You shall see, we all shall see" The Marquess laughed like he had already won. "The night of the moon banquet, I want to see just how beautiful he thinks my fourth youngest is. In comparison to my oldest daughter that is... it's time that arrogant fool knows just how great he is"

The officials beside Marquess Li all nodded. Marquess Li's daughters were exceptionally beautiful - especially the oldest. Only her beauty could match to the Duke's looks and charisma. 

Instead of the best, Marquess Li gave Duke Haijin the worst one - the hidden youngest daughter born from a lowly maid.