Chapter 52: Payback

Chapter 52: Payback  

I woke up and kept my eyes closed, hoping that Joey showing up had only been something REM had decided to torture me with while I slept.  

Something hit me in the face. My eyes flew open as I bolted upright. I glared at the fumbling sleeping mass that was Joey. My hands curled into fists, my heart hammering. It would feel so nice to hit him back. 

But then he'd wake up and his never ending conversation from Distortion World would begin again. 

I heard a rustling next to him and unwillingly let my eyes stray. Dawn was staring at me silently, softly, her blue eyes filled with sympathy. I exhaled, my anger fizzling into annoyance at the Trainer who just had to interrupt such a perfect moment- 

I continued staring at Dawn. I'd kissed her yesterday. I remembered the feel of her skin, her closeness, her lips. The thunder rumbling deeply in the background, the rain pattering the tent as I became even more tempted by this girl who used to repel me. 

How do you do this to me, Dawn? I thought as I stared back at her. 

Joey groaned in his sleep and mumbled, "No, that was my Ponyta. Top two percentage." 

He rolled extremely close to Dawn who cringed and gave me a desperate "help" look. I motioned for her to follow me outside as I unzipped the tent as quietly as possible. Joey remained asleep as we stepped out, studying the new day ahead of us. 

The sky was cloudy, a light grey color. It was a bit chilly in the morning air, but no longer raining. Dawn looked at the sky and hugged her bare arms around her body, shielding herself from the cold breeze. 

Silently, I took off my jacket and held it open for her to put her arms through. She smiled softly at me and allowed her arms to slip through the sleeves. I remembered the night I'd seen her illuminated in the moonlight in only a towel, how I'd let her borrow some of my clothes and how she hadn't wanted to sleep in a room away from me. 

I looked away quickly. She depended on me more than I'd really thought. Was I really ready for that, to be there for her through everything? I'd always hated dragging extra weight around. Would whatever I felt for Dawn disappear and become an annoyance as our relationship changed yet again? What would she really want from me if I told her what I felt?  

I wasn't sure if I could handle the responsibility. We were young, something I despised admitting about myself, and things changed. I was in no position to abandon my training, to stop pursuing my goals in life all because of this infatuation that had surprisingly fallen upon me. 

My eyes fell on Dawn again, my jacket too big on her. She had her eyes closed as she inhaled slowly. What she seemed to be so content about I wasn't sure, but she was at peace. As I stared at her I felt it too, how at ease I was around her that I couldn't attain when I was around anyone else. 

My thoughts continued back and forth, torn between what the future held for us. 

"Good morning," I said after a very long silence. 

Dawn hadn't seemed to mind the lack of speech, though at my voice her eyes gleamed. "Good morning. How are you?" 

The storm from last night seemed to have found a new home- inside of me. "I'm fine. And you?" 

"I'm great, thanks." Dawn smiled before it faltered. "Well, I want Joey to leave, but other than that I'm great." 

"You see why I don't like him now?" 

"In Johto did he follow you around too?" Dawn started playing with the sleeves of my jacket, her eyes focused on the material by her wrist. 

"He tried, but I gave him the slip. I usually give people the slip."