Day of the Moon (pt 2)

"One more time, sir. How the hell did you get into the command module?" A man in a dress shirt and tie asked the Doctor.

We were both sitting completely relaxed-- the Doctor with one leg over the other, me with my legs criss-crossed in the chair, despite the fact that we were in handcuffs. After all, we were in a random mission control classroom, not jail.

"I told you! I'm on a top secret mission for the President." The Doctor attempted to bite the chain of his cuffs. "Nova, can't you do those funny secret codeword things again?"

"Nah, I doubt these men have a high enough clearance to know about any of them." The man seemed offended, and I raised my eyebrows, leaning back in the chair. I knew I struck a weakness. "They'll just have to trust that the President sent us."

The man smiled at me condescendingly. "Well maybe if you could get President Nixon to assure us of that, sweetheart, that would be swell."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Don't call me sweetheart."

The man scoffed and turned to tell his partner something, and right on cue, the double doors swung open, revealing the man himself, and Rory and River following behind, dressed as secretaries.

The men stumbled to stand up straight as they realized who had just entered.

"Hello, I believe it's Mr. Gardner, is that correct?" President Nixon strode into the room, shaking the hand of the man who had just called me sweetheart. "Head of security?"

"Ah, yes, sir, yes, Mr. President." The man stuttered.

"Mr. Grant, is it?" The President looked to the other man, hand outstretched.

"Yes, Mr. President," He shook his hand back.

The President stood tall. "The hopes and dreams of millions of Americans stand here today, at Cape Kennedy, and you are the men who guard those dreams. On behalf of the American people, I thank you."

"You're welcome, Mr. President," Sweetheart Man said.

Nixon nodded. "I understand you have a baby on the way, Mr. Grant?"

"Yes, Mr. President," The other man smiled.

"What are you hoping for, a boy or a girl?"

"Just a healthy American, sir," The man smiled again, more nervously this time.

"A healthy American will do just nicely," The President laughed, giving the man a friendly shoulder punch. "Now, fellas, listen. This man here-- codename, the Doctor, and his partner, Nova, are doing some work for me personally. Could you cut them a little slack?"

"Er, Mr. President, they did break into Apollo 11," Sweetheart Man pointed out, uncomfortable.

Nixon discreetly gave us exasperated look behind their backs. I shrugged innocently while the Doctor mouthed, sorry!

"Well... I'm sure they had a very good reason for that," Nixon smiled through gritted teeth. "But I need you to release them now, so they could get on with some very important work for the American people. Could you do that for me?"

"Well..." Sweetheart Man tried, hesitant.

"Son, I am your Commander-In-Chief," Nixon reminded him, implying that he wasn't really asking.

"Then I guess that would be fine, Mr. President."

The President flashed a grin. "Glad to hear it."

I smiled victoriously up at Sweetheart Man as he uncuffed me. "Don't worry, sweetheart. You might get to my clearance one day. Might."