30

"What do we do?" He asked, pulling his sword out. I called my own to my hand and looked at him, fighting against the fear rising in my chest. 

"We fight."

The Winter Army was the biggest army in the whole land. The Southern Kingdom had one thing they cared about and that was their army. Thousands of soldiers, hundreds of animal species trained, not to mention the vast assortment of weapons. 

Against Phoenix and I.

Our chances weren't even slim, they were nonexistent. I turned to him and asked, "What exactly are your powers?" If I knew my own, that would be even more helpful. But that would be for later. I have trained for this, to lead my own army and fight, and now was my chance. 

He grinned. Fire circled around his arms, licking at his skin, but not burning him. I smiled and said, "I have an idea. Follow me." My wings flared out and I took off, Phoenix close behind. 

We flew through the sky, dodging arrows and balls of fire. "Where are we going?" Phoenix yelled.

"Just trust me!" I shouted back. 

We flew back to the cave entrance and sat down, taking deep breaths. "Wait here," I said, running toward the cave entrance. "Don't die," I called over my shoulder. "I'll be back in a minute."

I ran back into the crushing darkness, but it merely floated around me, allowing me to pass. I stumbled back into the cavern I had just left, to where Sagacity was sleeping. "Sagacity!" I shouted. 

The torches on the wall lit themselves. I jumped back in surprise as he raised his head, sleepily opening his eyes. "Why have you awaken me again, Dark Queen?" He asked me, yawning again. 

"I need your help," I said. "The Winter Army is coming. I need your help to destroy them."

He chuckled. "Why would the Dark Queen need my help?"

"Because I don't know how to use my powers yet," I said. Lying to his would be useless and I knew it. He did, too.

"Even if I wanted to help you," he said. "I couldn't. I am unable to leave my little cave. One of the first of the Malum line cursed me, the fool." I sighed. Of course.

"But," he continued. "If you break the curse, I will help you."

"How can I break the curse?"

"Finish the Malum line," Sagacity hissed. "Once and for all."

I nodded and turned on my heel, running back out of the cave. The torches went dark behind me. I found Phoenix waiting for me. 

"What are we doing?" He asked. I grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the ridge. 

"We are going to kill Tristian." With a running leap, we took off across the sky.

The Army was below us, shouting, firing at us. We flew higher, trying to avoid being hit. When I looked down again, my breathing tightened. Coming at us was a flock of white birds, with sharp talons and beady eyes.

"We're almost to the border," Phoenix called. 

"Watch out!" I screamed, grabbing his hand. The white birds were on us, tearing their talons into my skin, aiming for our eyes. Phoenix cried out in pain. Panic overrode my senses and darkness surrounded us, shooting us away from the birds, the army. 

My darkness brought us over the border, crashing us through the trees. It softened the blow, but only enough to avoid killing us. My breathing was ragged as I sat up.

"Phoenix?" I asked, looking over at him. 

He was sobbing, his hands going to his back. "What's wrong?" I asked him, coming closer.

"My...wings..."