Chapter 43

Sorry for the wait guys!

To make up for it I'm gonna make this chapter super long cuz I don't feel like splitting the challenge into multiple chapters XD. Also the P.O.V. Is gonna change a few times... But without further ado, enjoy chapter 43!

Warnings: Blood, gore, violence, and there's a death

     ~Jerome's P.O.V.~

     As a a canon blast sounds in the distance, signifying the start of the challenge, Rob gathers us into a huddle to review his plan.

    "Vikk, Preston, I want you two to stay here and guard the flag. Do anything you have to, because we can't afford to lose this. The rest of us will split up into two groups of two; Lachlan and I in one, and Jerome and Mitch in the other. Whatever you do, do not split up. I'm one hundred and ten percent sure someone's going to get hurt today, and I want everyone paired in case something bad happens. Now let's go."

    And with that Rob disperses the potions he acquired between us. He hands his two regeneration potions to Vikk and Preston, along with a healing potion for Preston and a jump boost potion for Vikk. He hands Mitch, Lachlan, and I a strength potion, and keep an invisibility potion for himself. And then he gives out the remaining four healing potions to Mitch, Lachlan, me, and himself. Not a second later and we all split up in different directions, Vikk and Preston backtracking to the flag, Mitch and I to the northeast, and Rob and Lachlan to the northwest.

Trees blur by in a mass of white and black as Mitch and I weave our way through the Brice forest, hurtling bushes and crashing noisily through branches. I grip Betty tightly in one hand, the other hand fingering the strength potion hanging at my side. For a moment I debate slowing down, seeing as part of this challenge is sneaking into enemy territory to steal the flag. Meh. I'll leave the sneaking around to Lachlan and Rob. I decide, following after the red and black blur that is Mitch, bunnies squeaking and chittering as they bound away in fright. Everywhere is relatively cool and covered by shadows, curtesy as the thick branches and layers of leaves above us. But up ahead, just past a thin wall of bushes, I can see sunlight in a much greater amount than here, under the shade of the trees, hinting at some sort of clearing.

My suspicions are soon confirmed as I crash through the bushes mere seconds after Mitch, stumbling into a decent size of open ground. A narrow river-maybe seven blocks across-splits the clearing in half, marking a distinct line between our side and Seto's side. My eyes quickly scan up and down the river, shifting over the banks of the water and the bushes and trees lining the clearing, looking for any sign that we're no the only ones here. But as far as I can tell, it seems like Mitch and I are the first ones here.

"Think we're alone?" Mitch questions, eyes still scanning the area cautiously.
"Yeah, but we'd better get a little bit of coverage just in case someone comes or is hiding."

Mitch nods in agreement, and we creep back to the bushes at the tree line, ducking behind them and squatting to remain unseen.

"So now what? Do we go for the flag, or stay here and defend?" I ask, watching Mitch as he peeks over the bushes, continuing to survey the river.
His eyes are suddenly dart to the left. "I see Rob and Lachlan-they're crossing over the river. I'd say we stay at the river just in case an opponent comes and we have to fend them off. And if Rob and Lachlan manage to snag the flag then we can jump in and help." Mitch determines, settling back down into the lush grass.
      "Sounds good. So now... We play the waiting game."

~~~

     ~3rd P.O.V. As seen from Rob and Lachlan~