Chapter 18: Marcoh's Notes

Al aged 14, Ed and Van aged 15.
Van POV:
I hop off the train and stretch my arms and legs.

"Central! It's good to be back. But why are we standing around when the library's waiting for us?" Ed smiles happily and then runs off.

"Brother, wait for us!" Al says while he grabs my wrist and takes off running after him.

"Come on. What's the big rush? It's not as if the library's going anywhere." Armstrong says as he walks behind us and I smile at him.

I stop paying attention after that but then I see two soldiers saluting.

"Major Armstrong, sir, we've been sent to meet you here as you requested."

"Well done troops." He says as he salutes back then turns to us. "I need to go directly back to HQ and get back to my other duties. From now on, these two will be guarding you. Introduce yourselves." He says to the two soldiers.

"Lieutenant Maria Ross, reporting, sir."

"And I'm Sargent Denny Brosh, humbly at your service."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Fullmetal Alchemist and Calamity Alchemist." The say in unison to Al and I.

I burst out laughing but no one can here me while Ed slumps in the corner with a gloomy aura.

"Uhhh, you're talking to the wrong guy." Al says while pointing at Ed.

"I'm used to it by now." He says gloomily.

"Really? You mean this little guy?" Brosh asks and Ed turns around slowly, his eyes basically popping out of his head.

Then there's a flurry of apologies coming from the man which just makes me laugh more. Ed looks over and glares at me.

"Come on Major, we don't need babysitters anymore. We've both been fully repaired and we have Van anyway!"

"Sorry, Edward. I'd avoid it if I could. Scar has been spotted around Central again and he specifically targeted you and your sister in the past. We don't have any other choice."

"But you don't have to worry. We'll keep all three of you safe from harm." Ross says while the two of them salute.

"I just hope you don't slow us down." He says and turns to walk away. I roll my eyes and follow him.

"Sorry about my brother. He's like that with everyone, don't take it personally." Al says and then follows behind us.

I can hear everything since we're not to far away from them and I hear Armstrong talking.

"They may not look like much but they've come through for us on many occasions...." he sparkles with tears in his eyes. "So make sure they finds what they came for."

"Sir, I'll try but I'm afraid it's to late for that now. As fate would have it, the library's first branch burnt down just last night."

My eyes go wide when I hear her and I run to the library as fast as I possibly can with Ed and Al right on my heels asking me what's wrong and if I can slow down but I don't.