38 - Hidden

"Wu Jian and his Wang Fei greet Empress Dowager and his majesty"

There was complete silence while the Duke gave his greetings.

"I'm glad you can make it this year Duke Haijin. When the Emperor told me you will be attending this year, I had though he was joking. I know you don't usually like these types of events"

"His majesty made it difficult for Wu Jian to decline this year"

"So I've heard" The Empress Dowager laugh softly before her eyes shifted to the young woman beside the tall handsome Duke.

Again, there was silence while the Empress Dowager observed the Duke's Wang Fei. People had thought that the young woman would show some nervousness in front of the royal family, instead, she was strangely calm and unaffected.

"Li Ruyi, lift your head so that I can see your face better"

Ruyi quietly lifted her head – her eyes meeting the Empress Dowager for a moment before they cast down.

"It seems Marquess Li kept you well-hidden all these years. I had thought the rumors were exaggerated since parents tend to boast about their children" The Empress Dowager spoke with amusement. "But seeing you now, no wonder he have to hide you"

Ruyi didn't react to the Empress Dowager words. No one could read her emotions or thoughts.

"How lovely..." Empress Dowager was impressed by the young woman's quiet temperament.

"Yes, lovely indeed" The Emperor agreed.

The Duke cold eyes went to the Emperor who ignored it with an unreadable smile.

"I have the perfect gift for you Li Ruyi"

When palace maid came forward with a silver tray, the Empress Dowager chose a pair of green crystal jade rings and gave it to Ruyi.

"It's quite warm, isn't it"

The palace maid had slid the pair of rings on Ruyi's left index finger. As soon as the jade touched her skin, Ruyi was surprised by the heat. Against her cold skin, the heat of the jade was more apparent.

"The jade was found after the volcanic eruption in Dongfa. Unlike other jade, this jade can maintain heat. Only a few pieces exist in the world..."

Everyone who heard the Empress Dowager's word were stunned. Why would the Empress Dowager give away such a valuable jade?

"It suits you Li Ruyi" Empress Dowager said simply. "Both the jade and the color"

"Ruyi thanks the Empress Dowager"

When Ruyi finally spoke, everyone could hear the sweet soft voice.

"Wu Jian and his Wang Fei will take their seat"

Without waiting for the Emperor or Empress Dowager's dismissal, Duke Haijin already took hold of his Wang Fei's hand and lead her away.